Unparalleled-The Catholic/Christian equal treatment of LGBT

Status
Closed

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
The main point is that by far Christian majority countries treat LGBT folks better then non Christian majority countries.
1. This isn't entirely true.

2. You're moving the goalposts. You consistently malign Israel as a place that shouldn't be considered as being LGBT friendly. You consistently compare Israel to countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia as if they're the same in regards to gay rights or a lack thereof. You put Israel in such a category, seemingly just because they don't recognize same sex marriage. That's your most glaring act of hypocrisy, you don't speak ill of the LGBT rights records of the dozens of Christian countries that are nearly identical to Israel in this regard.

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
Joan, I'll ask again, what about Uganda?
That has been addressed. But to add. Africa does not hold the majority of the worlds Christians. And it has been shown that South Africa is just as liberal as the USA in terms of treatment of LGBT, being the only country in Africa(and South Africa is 80% Christian) that allows LGBT marriage.

Keep in mind that while Hundreds of millions of Christians live in Africa, many Africans regardless of there Gov whether it be Uganda or any African country...support equal rights for gays. Also more then this, to the main point... Its clear that Christian majority countries are leading the way in terms of how lgbt are treated. Consider that most Christians live in North and South American as well as Europe and in these 3 areas LGBT folks are treated best. Uganda is one country Menshevik. Most Christian majority countries approve of fair treatment of LGBT people.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
That has been addressed. But to add. Africa does not hold the majority of the worlds Christians. And it has been shown that South Africa is just as liberal as the USA in terms of treatment of LGBT, being the only country in Africa(and South Africa is 80% Christian) that allows LGBT marriage.

Keep in mind that while Hundreds of millions of Christians live in Africa, many Africans regardless of there Gov whether it be Uganda or any African country...support equal rights for gays. Also more then this, to the main point... Its clear that Christian majority countries are leading the way in terms of how lgbt are treated. Consider that most Christians live in North and South American as well as Europe and in these 3 areas LGBT folks are treated best. Uganda is one country Menshevik. Most Christian majority countries approve of fair treatment of LGBT people.
Moving the goal posts. Again.

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
1. This isn't entirely true.

2. You're moving the goalposts. You consistently malign Israel as a place that shouldn't be considered as being LGBT friendly. You consistently compare Israel to countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia as if they're the same in regards to gay rights or a lack thereof. You put Israel in such a category, seemingly just because they don't recognize same sex marriage. That's your most glaring act of hypocrisy, you don't speak ill of the LGBT rights records of the dozens of Christian countries that are nearly identical to Israel in this regard.
Thats not the case. I have itt criticized Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Iran for there treatment of lgbt. Either you did not read this or you did and overlooked it. How you feel about this topic is on you.

The fact is that Israel like Turkey actually allows gay folks to live openly...If you dont like hearing Israel get compared to Saudi Arabia , Turkey, Japan thats on you. All of these countries prevent LGBT marriage but of course as I feel and already stated, Turkey and Israel although they disallow gay marriage are clearly more liberal then Saudi.

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
Menshevik,

Its Christian majority countries that by far lead the way in equal treatment of LGBT. This is not about Israel, not about Saudi. Numerous non Christian majority countries such as Japan, China, Turkey and Israel have been brought up that do not have as liberal an outlook on LGBT as do Christian majority countries. You could just as easily Menshevik have come in here to show a pride picture from Turkey and then gone on to defend Turkey, why did you not do that? Turkey is similar to Israel, you could have just as easily said I was mocking Turkey. Apparently you defend Israel and I think perhaps you dont like me criticizing Israel in the way I am itt... whether you do or not, does not matter because we all have different views. But what does matter are the facts, the goal posts are not being moved, we are having a conversation based on the fact that going by the numbers and maps provided that in general Christian countries treat lgbt better then non Christian countries.

Same-Sex Marriage: Global Comparisons

Global Acceptance of Homosexuality

I dont know if you have commented on the map above? Care to comment on that map? Because Uganda is one Christian country. And most Christians of the world live in North and South America or in Europe. So the point remains even with Ugandas poor treatment of LGBT...that Christian majority countries lead the way in terms of equal treatment of lgbt.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
Menshevik,

Its Christian majority countries that by far lead the way in equal treatment of LGBT. This is not about Israel, not about Saudi. Numerous non Christian majority countries such as Japan, China, Turkey and Israel have been brought up that do not have as liberal an outlook on LGBT as do Christian majority countries. You could just as easily Menshevik have come in here to show a pride picture from Turkey and then gone on to defend Turkey, why did you not do that? Turkey is similar to Israel, you could have just as easily said I was mocking Turkey. Apparently you defend Israel and I think perhaps you dont like me criticizing Israel in the way I am itt... whether you do or not, does not matter because we all have different views. But what does matter are the facts, the goal posts are not being moved, we are having a conversation based on the fact that going by the numbers and maps provided that in general Christian countries treat lgbt better then non Christian countries.

Same-Sex Marriage: Global Comparisons

I dont know if you have commented on the map above? Care to comment on that map? Because Uganda is one Christian country. And most Christians of the world live in North and South America or in Europe. So the point remains even with Ugandas poor treatment of LGBT...that Christian majority countries lead the way in terms of equal treatment of lgbt.
Oy vey... I DID comment on that map. See my comment, post #29.

I'm going to report your post(s) here. This isn't echo chamber. You've made a bunch of assertions that have been challenged and called out by myself and others. When (and it isn't often) you deign to respond, you offer no serious or respectable rebuttal, no, you just respond with more random and/or irrelevant opinions, facts or figures; that or you move the goalposts of the discussion.

Feb 2019
Thrace
JoanOfArc007 the main concern some of the posters have is that Christianity isn't the reason Western countries are tolerant, rather they are in spite of it. Muslim countries take their scripture more seriously than us, hence they are less tolerant.

Reactions: Mastersonmcvoidson
Feb 2019
Serbia
JoanOfArc007 the main concern some of the posters have is that Christianity isn't the reason Western countries are tolerant, rather they are in spite of it. Muslim countries take their scripture more seriously than us, hence they are less tolerant.
I'm waiting for him to defend his claims about Napoleon, they are the reason I'm even in this thread. I agree with your claim that Western countries are more tolerant because of secularism and in spite of Christianity.

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
But Christian churches and bodies are very prominent in campaign against LGBT rights. Here in Australia they reserve the right to sack any LGBT employees.
Some Christian leaders perhaps have come out against LGBT rights. The core issue remains. Whether a country is Christian majority, a Secular or Theocratic state....we can see that going by the maps, and data provided that clearly Christian majority countries lead the way in terms of equal treatment of LGBT. The Historian John Boswell has also cast doubt onto the view that some have that the Christians of the ancient and middle ages were not welcoming to LGBT.

We see the great majority of South America, all of North America and practically all of Europe of which hold the majority of Christians worldwide...provide equal rights for LGBT folks. Its not just LGBT marriage, all aspects of LGBT life are better in North and South America along with Europe compared to Africa, The Middle East and Asia. Menshivek can not disprove the fact that most Christians live in North and South America along with Europe, not in Uganda or even Africa as a whole. Though to that point there is acceptance of LGBT in Africa, most felt in South Africa. And again, it has been shown that there are different levels of mistreatment of LGBT. Israel, Turkey, China, and Japan are not on the level of Saudi Arabia or Iran for example...but Israel, Turkey, China, and Japan which are all non Christian majority, are not as liberal in a # of ways toward LGBT compared to North and South American countries as well as European countries.

Global Acceptance of Homosexuality

Major World Religions populations pie chart statistics list

Compare the data to the # of Christians worldwide. One can see that most Christians of the world live in the Majority Christian countries in North and South America as well as Europe that provide the best treatment of LGBT.

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
I don't think being a Christian is what you should be proud off. Like some pointed out, take a look at Uganda. Tolerance in the Western World has been a product of secular intellectual progress. Under Christian domination, there was no such thing as tolerance.
Well at the same time, its clear that Christian people have sighted there belief system as to why they want equal rights for LGBT.

DignityUSA

LGBTQ in the Church

So its true that people support LGBT rights for various reasons. It is a fact part of that reason is Christianity. Of course as mentioned throughout the thread, non Christians have and are pushing for equal rights for LGBT. Being a Christian or not being a Christian has been used by folks as to why they stand for equal rights for LGBT. This thread does not say everyone must be a Christian, there is no semblance of any kind of bigotry. But its clear in North and South America, as well as Europe that Christians and non Christians have played a role in bringing in equal rights for lgbt folks.

Status
Closed