US expeditionary force in World War I

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
100% historical facts are distorted by nationalism or by interest...Australian had a great reputation in WW1...why not? In 1916, they had more experience and adaptation to the life in campaign than British... who saw a gun by first time in Somme
vast majoirty of austrlains did not have guns, most were city dwellers. dont think prioir experince with guns makes much of a difference. A certain independence/initiative may have helped to some extenet and physically healthier.

Feb 2016
Japan
vast majoirty of austrlains did not have guns, most were city dwellers. dont think prioir experince with guns makes much of a difference. A certain independence/initiative may have helped to some extenet and physically healthier.
Not really. The Aussies remained an all volunteer force. They were at the same level as British 1914 troops. Britain, France and Germany had resorted to conscription ... men they previously would have rejected, men who had no inclination to fight... 1916 sees a definate decline in troop quality. This is not due to any silly nonsense about tough hardy outback types vs mild mannered soft Britons though. It’s about volunteers vs conscripts.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Not really. The Aussies remained an all volunteer force. They were at the same level as British 1914 troops. Britain, France and Germany had resorted to conscription ... men they previously would have rejected, men who had no inclination to fight... 1916 sees a definate decline in troop quality. This is not due to any silly nonsense about tough hardy outback types vs mild mannered soft Britons though. It’s about volunteers vs conscripts.
I was just addressing the meme of outback types with gun experince somehow made austrlians better soliders.

https://bitre.gov.au/publications/2014/files/report_136_CHAPTER_4_WEB_FA.pdf

Regional type Population 1911 Percentage
Major Capital Cities* 1 796 474 40.3
Regional Cities and Towns (>200 persons) 1 993 210 44.7
Small Localities (50 –200 persons) 450 896 10.1
Rural 214 425 4.8
Total Australia 4 455 005 100.0

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Apologies. I was supposed to be quoting Martin.
But if you are saying the same than me!... You are saying Australians were better soldiers in Imperial Britain in 1916 than British... exaclty what we are saying. British Infantry was excellent in 1914 but Ypres was the end... Still in 1915 we can find some veterans or some good volunteers.. although La Chapelle,, Loss...are evidences the quality is getting down... in 1916... the quality is....very very down level... and in 1916..Australian had an excellent infantry (i am not going to say the best on earth.. but for sure one of the best). So I agree with u because you agree with me.

Of course, it is a question about Volunteer or Conscript.. but not only that.. Also it is important your previous experience and as you well said your "Will"...

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Even with conscription the majority of men in the British army even in 1918 were still voluer Army iteers.
Well, Kevin.. In 1914 all of them went to the war as a picnic (Berlin, Belgrade, Vienna, Budapest, London, Paris, Saint Petersburg, Constantinople and then Rome, Bucarest etc).. later... when War was proved it was not a party...people lost the desire to join the massacre... In Britain, the number of volunteer begun to decrease in 1915...of course, there were volunteers.. but not as in 1914... that is the reason because it was necessary to approve compulsory military service...

In October 1915, the "voluntary enlistment" was not enough to cover the requeriments in the Front. And January 4th, 1916 it was aproved the Military Service Act. By this Act, which became Law 27th January 1916, after which date all voluntary enlistment even for the Territorial Army ceased, every male British subject between 18 and 41 years of age, who on the 15th August 1915 was ordinarily resident in Great Britain (Ireland was exclude) and, on the 2nd November 1915 was unmarried or a widower withouth child or relative-dependent on him, was deemed to have been duly enlisted for general service, could be assigned to any branch of the service, and had not choice of arm or unit.

The Proffesional Army in 1914 made way to the Volunteer Army in 1915... and the Conscript Army in 1916 - 1918.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
But if you are saying the same than me!... You are saying Australians were better soldiers in Imperial Britain in 1916 than British... exaclty what we are saying. British Infantry was excellent in 1914 but Ypres was the end... Still in 1915 we can find some veterans or some good volunteers.. although La Chapelle,, Loss...are evidences the quality is getting down... in 1916... the quality is....very very down level... and in 1916..Australian had an excellent infantry (i am not going to say the best on earth.. but for sure one of the best). So I agree with u because you agree with me.

Of course, it is a question about Volunteer or Conscript.. but not only that.. Also it is important your previous experience and as you well said your "Will"...
I think it's mainly a matter of deg

Feb 2016
Japan
Sorry if I misunderstood you. But your original list implied the Aussies were bettervsoldiers because they were tougher outdoorsy types who could weather campaigning (how that helps in France?) ...
which I disagreed with. They were better because they were able to maintain better standards amongst recruits. British and Germans had widened the goalposts and were taking all types.

But as pointed out how a Melbourne office employee is better prepared for campaigning than a Glaswegian docker or a Nottingham butcher I don’t know.

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland

The Proffesional Army in 1914 made way to the Volunteer Army in 1915... and the Conscript Army in 1916 - 1918.
But the pre conscription army simply didn't disappear after 1916 and even after the introduction of conscription volunteers continued to join, so even the 'conscript' British army of 1918 something like 2/3 rds were volunteers.

Similar History Discussions