US gets involved in the troubles in the Catholic side?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
USA is like Italy or France or Spain ... it's a Republic with a democratic system. Since I'm active on US political forums as well, I know the curious theoretical debate where some American political scientists put almost in opposition Republic and Democracy. But it's the conception of "Democracy" in that context to be particular. Substantially that's "direct democracy", while a Republic is an "indirect democracy".
A republic doesn't even actually have to be democratic at all; for instance, North Korea is known as the Democratic People's Republic of Korea even though it certainly isn't democratic and is in fact much more similar to an absolute monarchy.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I believe Ireland is still a new beneficiary from the EU ?
AFAIK, Ireland's economic growth spurt began in the 1990s--so, perhaps EU membership and even the end of the Cold War had something to do with this.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
A republic doesn't even actually have to be democratic at all; for instance, North Korea is known as the Democratic People's Republic of Korea even though it certainly isn't democratic and is in fact much more similar to an absolute monarchy.
Mah ... from an European Perspective the definition of "Republic" in the case of North Korea is misused: the North Korean People hadn't the possibility to vote in a free way for its leader and its representatives. One of the basic characteristics of a Republic is the indirect democracy and it has to be free.

Reactions: Futurist

mark87

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Santiago de Chile
That report doesn't really say anything except that ultimately it's up to the British and Irish governments to come up with a solution.
It explains the level of involvement of the United States in the conflict...hence why I posted it.

Poly

Ad Honorem
Apr 2011
Georgia, USA
AFAIK, Ireland's economic growth spurt began in the 1990s--so, perhaps EU membership and even the end of the Cold War had something to do with this.
Sorry, I meant to say "net" beneficiary.

I did some checking and Ireland was a net beneficiary until 2014.

In 2017 it actually paid 200 million Euros to the EU (it may have to pay more after Brexit).

Poly

Ad Honorem
Apr 2011
Georgia, USA
It explains the level of involvement of the United States in the conflict...hence why I posted it.
Oh yes, the USA has no intention on intervening in Ireland, the USA would be like a dinosaur in a tar pit.

Poly

Ad Honorem
Apr 2011
Georgia, USA
The US is still a Protestant country. About 22% of the population is Roman Catholic. It's much less in Southern states and more in large northern cities. As a percent of the total population, it has declined from its peak of 25%. Only one of 45 presidents was Catholic. Politically they tend to be more liberal than Protestants overall and can be influential in elections in states like Massachusetts, New York and Illinois. However the Irish troubles have not mattered in elections which involve Catholic candidates for Federal office. They usually emphasize their independence regarding religious matters and the Pope.

If one is running for mayor of Boston, they will have to confront the issue, but they will not be in charge of foreign policy.
There's actually only been 44 presidents of the USA not 45.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Mah ... from an European Perspective the definition of "Republic" in the case of North Korea is misused: the North Korean People hadn't the possibility to vote in a free way for its leader and its representatives. One of the basic characteristics of a Republic is the indirect democracy and it has to be free.
If so, there would be an awful lot of fake republics out there. :(

Yeah, Grover Cleveland served two non-consecutive terms which is why the 45th US President is actually only the 44th person to hold this office.

Poly

Ad Honorem
Apr 2011
Georgia, USA
USA is like Italy or France or Spain ... it's a Republic with a democratic system. Since I'm active on US political forums as well, I know the curious theoretical debate where some American political scientists put almost in opposition Republic and Democracy. But it's the conception of "Democracy" in that context to be particular. Substantially that's "direct democracy", while a Republic is an "indirect democracy".
Many Americans will say that the USA is not a democracy, citing that of ancient Athens as a model.

No country is a pure or "direct" democracy...all democracies today (whether a republic or a monarchy) are representative democracies with the people electing a representative(s) to speak for them.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Grover Cleveland was out of office during the administration of Benjamin Harrison. Now if we count him as the 23rd president, it's mathematically impossible for Cleveland to be the 22nd president again. Ipso facto he is the 24th. You can't argue with mathematics. The iron laws of numbers demands he counts twice as if he were two people. Besides he could have become Republican while he was out of office but he didn't. Anyone who could possibly have been a Republican AND a Democratic president SHOULD count twice!! :winktongue:

Last edited: