US gets involved in the troubles in the Catholic side?

Jun 2015
Scotland
Religion and political outlook (Loyalist Vs Republican) have always been largely synonymous - as I said, I've yet to meet or see a Protestant republican.

The divide is really republican, what confuses people is that religion runs across basically the same lines.
I think you would be surprised at just at just how many of NIs youth, those from both heritages are open to different ideas. Like I said most just want to be able to lead their lives with a bit of stability, whatever can provide that is good.

Reactions: Futurist

Poly

Ad Honorem
Apr 2011
Georgia, USA
In my old neighborhood on the West Side of Chicago there was a rough and ready Irish tavern (a tavern, not one of those goddam pubs) across the street from Emmet School called the Irish American Club and all the guys who drank in there were from the West: Mayo, Sligo and Galway. (I was served in there was I was 17 years old, my Grandfather Old Tim being a badass from Kiltimagh.) Now my cousin Francie, he comes over from Lurgan and goes in there and gets thrown out on his ass because of his northern accent. He put up a fight so they bought him a drink...and told him not to come back.

You know that there's a story about a news reporter asking a group of NI Protestant kids how they would tell the difference between a Protestant and a Catholic boy they'd never met before.

They conferred and finally came up with an answer that they'd get him to recite the alphabet....Catholics, they explained, pronounce the letter "H" as "hay-aitch"
And that was the only difference they could think of.

Not sure why your cousin was thrown out.

Btw, what the difference between a tavern and a pub ?

Poly

Ad Honorem
Apr 2011
Georgia, USA
I think you would be surprised at just at just how many of NIs youth, those from both heritages are open to different ideas. Like I said most just want to be able to lead their lives with a bit of stability, whatever can provide that is good.
If any Protestant youths are open to union with the Irish Republic, I'd be very surprised.

Zip

Jan 2018
San Antonio
You know that there's a story about a news reporter asking a group of NI Protestant kids how they would tell the difference between a Protestant and a Catholic boy they'd never met before.

They conferred and finally came up with an answer that they'd get him to recite the alphabet....Catholics, they explained, pronounce the letter "H" as "hay-aitch"
And that was the only difference they could think of.

Not sure why your cousin was thrown out.

Btw, what the difference between a tavern and a pub ?
Well Francie was a Jesuit educated Catholic but the Armagh accent is different than from the West. I can think of several
reasons he would be thrown out of a bar, most involving women or gambling.

A tavern is a joint without a cute name, no food but beer nuts, Slim Jims and Tombstones, and a long bar at one end of which is a TV with a White Sox game. And a few booths on the opposite wall. And people drinking beer or shots of whiskey with beer chasers. Or half and halfs in an Irish tavern.

Poly

Ad Honorem
Apr 2011
Georgia, USA
Well Francie was a Jesuit educated Catholic but the Armagh accent is different than from the West. I can think of several
reasons he would be thrown out of a bar, most involving women or gambling.

A tavern is a joint without a cute name, no food but beer nuts, Slim Jims and Tombstones, and a long bar at one end of which is a TV with a White Sox game. And a few booths on the opposite wall. And people drinking beer or shots of whiskey with beer chasers. Or half and halfs in an Irish tavern.
I meant with his accent.
Seemingly it's hard to pick out which side of the sectarian divide your on from your accent. I know in Glasgow it's virtually impossible to pick the difference out from an accent.

Define what a cute name is - and a real pub doesn't do hot meals but instead bags of nuts or chips (crisps).

In England, a tavern is just another name for a public house.

Google "tavern, england" and see what I mean.

Jun 2015
Scotland
I would be if you could give me some examples.
I can't drag a spotty Irish youth around as an example.

What I can say is that in the sink estates of Belfast you will still find pretty extreme bigotry. Outside of such areas much less so. The areas I'm most familiar with having lived there and having friends there is to the more affluent country south of Belfast. It's always been a little more genteel and liberal but it's getting even more so. The kids from whatever heritage don't identify with sectarian politics whatsoever, they mix, intermarry, don't have any religeous beliefs and it seems are voting Alliance in growing numbers. It may be a false dawn but demographics may give us a majority that just dont care as long as its stable. Lets hope!

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If any Protestant youths are open to union with the Irish Republic, I'd be very surprised.
Well, Ireland is much wealthier nowadays than it previously was--hence its title of "The Celtic Tiger". Rawr! :lol:

Poly

Ad Honorem
Apr 2011
Georgia, USA
I can't drag a spotty Irish youth around as an example.

What I can say is that in the sink estates of Belfast you will still find pretty extreme bigotry. Outside of such areas much less so. The areas I'm most familiar with having lived there and having friends there is to the more affluent country south of Belfast. It's always been a little more genteel and liberal but it's getting even more so. The kids from whatever heritage don't identify with sectarian politics whatsoever, they mix, intermarry, don't have any religeous beliefs and it seems are voting Alliance in growing numbers. It may be a false dawn but demographics may give us a majority that just dont care as long as its stable. Lets hope!
Maybe an interview on YouTube ?