US gets involved in the troubles in the Catholic side?

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
They conferred and finally came up with an answer that they'd get him to recite the alphabet....Catholics, they explained, pronounce the letter "H" as "hay-aitch"
And that was the only difference they could think of.
This actually dates back to the Elizabethan persecution of Catholics. Pronouncing the h like that was sort of like a secret handshake

Poly

Ad Honorem
Apr 2011
Georgia, USA
View attachment 26250
PREVIEW
8:47
A United Ireland? Some Northern Ireland Unionist figures ... Maybe not quite what your looking for but gives an idea of changing attitudes.
Perhaps, but as one young man said; maybe the thought soon enters peoples' heads and is dismissed very quickly.

Once again, I have yet to see a NI Protestant advocate a united Ireland.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
The US is still a Protestant country. About 22% of the population is Roman Catholic. It's much less in Southern states and more in large northern cities. As a percent of the total population, it has declined from its peak of 25%. Only one of 45 presidents was Catholic. Politically they tend to be more liberal than Protestants overall and can be influential in elections in states like Massachusetts, New York and Illinois. However the Irish troubles have not mattered in elections which involve Catholic candidates for Federal office. They usually emphasize their independence regarding religious matters and the Pope.

If one is running for mayor of Boston, they will have to confront the issue, but they will not be in charge of foreign policy.

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
What ?

Are you saying the USA is not a democracy ?
USA is like Italy or France or Spain ... it's a Republic with a democratic system. Since I'm active on US political forums as well, I know the curious theoretical debate where some American political scientists put almost in opposition Republic and Democracy. But it's the conception of "Democracy" in that context to be particular. Substantially that's "direct democracy", while a Republic is an "indirect democracy".

Reactions: Futurist