US helps France in Indochina

Jul 2008
NE PA
We provided them with massive material aid, but what do you think would have happened if we took an active part in the 40s and 50s? Assuming, of course, that France let us.

I figure (possibly with some idealism and naivete) that we would have given the active aid with strings attached-for example, getting some concrete French withdrawl date, or something like that.

Aside from that, do you think there would have been any other outcome?

Nick

Historum Emeritas
Jul 2006
UK
See the topic on US winning the Vietnam War. Again, many lives will be wasted with no gain. The insurgency would continue to exist but on a much larger scale as now the communists would be joined by nationalists and moderates, and supported by a population united against the foreign enemy.

Lucius

Forum Staff
Jan 2007
Nebraska
What Nick said. French Indochina was as large as the US east of the Mississippi River and for the most part consists of mountainous jungle terrain.

Jul 2008
NE PA
well, here's the thing-even WITH a French defeat in Indochina, Vietnam was still divided. I would say this means the Vietminh didn't get the victory they wanted. I wonder if active us aid at such crucial time might have changed things.

Jul 2008
NE PA
What Nick said. French Indochina was as large as the US east of the Mississippi River and for the most part consists of mountainous jungle terrain.

You know, I was looking at a world map, and even allowing for distortions due to map projection type, I don't think French Indochina was even close to being as large as the US east of Mississippi river. Do you have figures?

Lucius

Forum Staff
Jan 2007
Nebraska
You know, I was looking at a world map, and even allowing for distortions due to map projection type, I don't think French Indochina was even close to being as large as the US east of Mississippi river. Do you have figures?
mlipo,

Thanks for the correction. The 26 states east of the Mississippi comprise 958,477 square miles.

The total area of Cambodia, Laos, and Viet Nam in square miles is 289,395.

So French Indo-China was roughly 30% as large as the US east of the Mississippi.

See, I was looking at them on the globe and since they're on opposite sides I had to spin it to compare the two. I should have used my thumb. Duh, me stupido.

So, say it was a little larger than France, 260,558 sq mi

Similar History Discussions