US presidential elections where the VP pick might have very well made the difference between victory and defeat

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
BTW, is the post-1991 rule ever going to get revised? I mean, time is rapidly moving forward and thus I was wondering if a post-1991 rule might have made sense in, say, 2011 but that a post-2000 rule might make better sense in, say, 2020. Of course, this is ultimately your guys' (as in, the moderators') decision.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
No, I'm not. That said, though, if you're going to suspend people for this, shouldn't both I and Kotromanic be suspended?

FTR, I'm not actually advocating suspending anyone here. I'll stop talking about this now.
Eight years with no suspensions and you want me sent to the stockade for THIS?!

After taking the slings and arrows in Southeastern Europe topics all these years, you would have me suspended for a no-good plutocrat like Cheney? Damn.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Eight years with no suspensions and you want me sent to the stockade for THIS?!

After taking the slings and arrows in Southeastern Europe topics all these years, you would have me suspended for a no-good plutocrat like Cheney? Damn.
Please see my second paragraph here. I explicitly said that I'm not actually advocating suspending anyone here.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Is the first election of George H W Bush within all the time constraints? Let me go look at my old calendars... looks like.... it will be all right.

Why did Mike Dukakis want to run with a Texas Senator?

Maybe some of the people older than me can recall the rationale for the pick of Bentsen? Poppy Bush won 39 or 40 States in the end so surely it was not a big factor in the final results.

Bentsen IIRC had beaten GHW Bush in a Senate race in '70 or '72 and apparently the Democrats were trying to carry Texas?

I was a really young person when Nixon was re-elected. It was really amusing to me that McGovern was on the ticket with "Sergeant Shriver". At the time my favorite Sergeant was Sergeant Schultz on "Hogan's Heroes".

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Is the first election of George H W Bush within all the time constraints? Let me go look at my old calendars... looks like.... it will be all right.

Maybe some of the people older than me can recall the rationale for the pick of Bentsen? Poppy Bush won 39 or 40 States in the end so surely it was not a big factor in the final results.

Bentsen IIRC had beaten GHW Bush in a Senate race in '70 or '72 and apparently the Democrats were trying to carry Texas?

I was a really young person when Nixon was re-elected. It was really amusing to me that McGovern was on the ticket with "Sergeant Shriver". At the time my favorite Sergeant was Sergeant Schultz on "Hogan's Heroes".
GHWB was elected in 1988, so that's fair game.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal

I think that The Duke picked Bentsen because he was hoping to win more support in the South. People often forget this, but Dukakis was actually leading in the polls until the fall of 1988, when Bush Sr. took the lead:

Historical polling for United States presidential elections - Wikipedia

I personally made the Wikipedia article above, FTR. Specifically, more than five years ago.

Similar History Discussions