US recognizes Jerusalem as Israel's capital

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Well someone had to open this thread

Middle East media reacts to 'slap of the century' - BBC News

Israelis are happy.. Palestinians and in general arabs and more broadly muslims are not

Other countries have either criticized the move or remained silent. Apparently , other than Israel, no one has approved.

The US congress had in fact voted 20 years ago the Jerusalem Embassy Act that Congress passed overwhelmingly in 1995 when Bill Clinton was in the White House.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-expected-sign-waiver-embassy-move-jerusalem-article-1.3681235

It remains to be seen if this will have any lasting consequence

Nostromo

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Queens
Does this recognition actually change anything in the grand geo-political scheme of things?

Iraq Bruin

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
DC
My understanding is that the recognition left open the issue "of final boundaries" so the east/west Jerusalem issue is still on the table.

Reading the rhetoric and abuse/change of history is so annoying that I started looking deeper into how old the city is and who were the occupants of it throughout history.

One thing though, if it were acceptable to change the city's demographics and religion through prolonged occupation for one side, it is acceptable for any side.

In the end, I am not going to side with Arabs or Muslims in this one

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Does this recognition actually change anything in the grand geo-political scheme of things?
My thoughts. I heard somebody on tv say this puts the peace process in a quandary. What peace process. I am old enough to remember discussing Carter’s Camp David accords in a.p. History classes nearly 30 years ago. Look at things now in the Middle East.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Long overdue. And a good gesture at a time when former allies are increasingly nasty towards Israel.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
I'm "discussing" this on a US political forum [actually I'm near to face someone in a duel ...] and to develop this argument in the chamber of Historum won't be easy.

Overall because I sustain that President Trump has finally done something that was a duty ...

Because of a law voted by the Congress in 1995. The Jerusalem Embassy Act [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_Embassy_Act].

Clinton was President and he and the following Presidents have delayed the moment to apply that law [approved by the Congress with a remarkable bipartisan majority, btw] since in ME they told Washington that to apply that law would have meant to damage the peace process.

In more than 20 years, not applying that law has meant ... nothing. So, why not to change strategy?

Jan 2016
Collapsed wave
if you happen to wonder why, here is the opinion of the New York Times:

Like in this great true democracy, the puppet has to deliver.

EU should close all borders because it may get nasty down there.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Keeping a strict historical perspective, I have to underline that the often overestimated Jewish lobby at Washington hasn't been able to persuade a President to apply the JEA/1995 for more than 20 years ...

This should allow to have some doubts regarding which is the real influence of this Jewish lobby on US government.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
if you happen to wonder why, here is the opinion of the New York Times:

Like in this great true democracy, the puppet has to deliver.

EU should close all borders because it may get nasty down there.
That same NYT that accused His Trumpness of being an anti-Semitic Nazi? Or is this the eternal "it is the Jews fault"?

He just sends a very simple message: Palestinian attacks wont help in getting the US moving an inch towards their standpoint.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Dutch embassy at Jerusalem

That same NYT that accused His Trumpness of being an anti-Semitic Nazi? Or is this the eternal "it is the Jews fault"?

He just sends a very simple message: Palestinian attacks wont help in getting the US moving an inch towards their standpoint.
As an aside note, I would remind that before of a UN resolution inviting countries to move their embassies from Jerusalem, Netherlands had their embassy in Jerusalem [the only EU country ... there were Southern American embassies at Jerusalem ... and actually one of them is still there ... but in a suburb! Bolivia ... that embassy is in Jerusalem ...].