US recognizes Jerusalem as Israel's capital

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Interestingly enough, on moral grounds, maybe there should eventually be a Palestinian right of return. However, I fear that too many Palestinians are going to come if this would have been implemented as Israeli policy as part of a peace deal in the near future. AFAIK, the descendants of the Germans who were expelled from Eastern Europe after WWII do have the right of return to Czechia and Poland right now due to the EU freedom of movement--but Czechia and Poland benefit from the fact that they are poorer than Germany and that thus few Germans actually want to move there (even among the German expellees and their descendants). This probably won't be true for Palestinian expellees in regards to Israel right now or at any point in time in the near future due to the huge wealth gap between Israel and its neighbors.

(I'm not exactly a fan of large-scale Muslim immigration, but when the ancestors of Palestinian Arabs lived in Palestine for centuries, I don't think that a demand for a right of return among them is that unreasonable on moral grounds--at least as long as they don't try to subvert and/or undermine the Israeli state afterwards.)

Dec 2011
Menshevik said
[It is implied] That a solution hasn't already been reached. I think one could argue that the status quo is a situation that has been working reasonably well for the Israelis at least.
That is, quite clearly, the Israeli government's position. Yes, the conflict continues with significant violence (about 300 killings last year), but the great majority of deaths are of Palestinians. A much smaller number of Israelis die each year, but that is a price worth paying (the Israeli government thinks) for maintaining the status quo, because that involves carte blanche support from USA to continue blockading Gaza and occupying and stealing Palestinian land, to the point where a Palestinian state becomes non-viable and Israel can take over the entire territory for itself. Hence there is no motivation by Israel to negotiate, it's getting everything it wants anyway.
The Palestinians need to realize and accept that they don't really have any leverage. Beggars can't be choosers. Their plight can only be made more comfortable by them being more passive.
The Gazans last year demonstrated within their own territory without firearms and were still shot dead in their hundreds. The PA in the West Bank has basically been passive toward Israel and all that happens is that more of their land is taken.

Last edited:
Dec 2011
Interestingly enough, on moral grounds, maybe there should eventually be a Palestinian right of return. However, I fear that too many Palestinians are going to come if this would have been implemented as Israeli policy as part of a peace deal in the near future. AFAIK, the descendants of the Germans who were expelled from Eastern Europe after WWII do have the right of return to Czechia and Poland right now due to the EU freedom of movement--but Czechia and Poland benefit from the fact that they are poorer than Germany and that thus few Germans actually want to move there (even among the German expellees and their descendants). This probably won't be true for Palestinian expellees in regards to Israel right now or at any point in time in the near future due to the huge wealth gap between Israel and its neighbors.

(I'm not exactly a fan of large-scale Muslim immigration, but when the ancestors of Palestinian Arabs lived in Palestine for centuries, I don't think that a demand for a right of return among them is that unreasonable on moral grounds--at least as long as they don't try to subvert and/or undermine the Israeli state afterwards.)
You will know that I have long held that the solution to the right of return issue is financial compensation. It would cost multi-billions, to provide millions of Palestinians enough to sign away their right of return, but I think it should be paid, because peace is worth more than money (think Marshall Plan).

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
The Arab world, united in the Arab League, has unanimously adopted a peace initiative that proposes normalized relations with Israel in exchange for an end of the occupation and the implementation of the Two State solution for the Israeli-Palestine Conflict. The Arab League has remained committed to this peace intiative since its adoption back in 2002, re-endorsing it once more in 2017, but nearly two decades later it is still waiting for a reponse. Israel and the USA refuse to consider it alltogether.
Great. I think Israel should accept that.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I don't think that there is anyone on Palestinian side that has power to offer any kind of peace. Until such person appears among Palestinians they are asking a lot and offering absolutely nothing.
But then what is Israel hoping to achieve? The international community will never accept their dreams of making West Bank part of Israel, not even their staunchest ally the US would go that far.