US report on UN voting records could lead to funding cuts

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
" … Either way, this is not an acceptable return on our investment … "

It seems some people think UN is some sort of investment fund.

Does anyone knows when UN Ltd will be in the Nasdaq ?
In a fast shrinking world, an institution like UN is very important, no matter what one may find wrong with it. It presents a common forum where world issues can be discussed.

Oct 2013
Europix
In a fast shrinking world, an institution like UN is very important, no matter what one may find wrong with it. It presents a common forum where world issues can be discussed.
Not that I disagree with You (because I certainly don't), it's just that some see UN as a company that they invested into and expect the return of their "investment":

… Ambassador Nikki Haley renewed her threat to cut foreign aid for countries that oppose the United States at the United Nations …

The American people pay 22 percent of the UN budget — more than the next three highest donor countries combined […] In spite of this generosity, the rest of the UN voted with us only 31 percent of the time, …

President Trump wants to ensure that our foreign assistance dollars — the most generous in the world — always serve American interests, …
What I absolutely love isn't that much the return on investment part but the help part.

So, kandal is in some trouble, he could use some help.

I personally am ready to help kandal … as long as it serves my interests …

I think I have to take the old Oxford or Mirriam dictionaries back, cause I definitely misunderstood the meaning of the word "help" and "assistance' :eek:

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Well ... today UN is a liberal democracy: not based on population, but on "census".

If UN were a democracy most populous countries should finance it [China, India ...]. But it seems that richest countries have to finance UN. This is simply against democracy.

India should contribute to UN budget three times more than US, China 4 times more than US.

That would be democratic.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
Not that I disagree with You (because I certainly don't), it's just that some see UN as a company that they invested into and expect the return of their "investment":
Every institution can be looked at that way.
What I absolutely love isn't that much the return on investment part but the help part.

So, kandal is in some trouble, he could use some help.

I personally am ready to help kandal … as long as it serves my interests …

I think I have to take the old Oxford or Mirriam dictionaries back, cause I definitely misunderstood the meaning of the word "help" and "assistance' :eek:
UN also brings lots of economic benefits as well as prestige to US, because it is located in New York.

If US is no longer interested in UN, tell the UN to take its headquarters elsewhere, and cut its contributions. Europe will take it in a minute. And Trump would be happy too! :zany:.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
I don't find much need for it. It was always symbolic and now it is even more so. While I wouldn't make it an obvious quid pro quo statement, the truth is that is how all foreign aid works. Show me one major power who gives financial support to those diametrically opposed to them. The U.S. is contributing much too much to this organization. Those who like it the most can pony up. After all, who of us as individuals support causes for things which we do not believe?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
UN also brings lots of economic benefits as well as prestige to US, because it is located in New York.

If US is no longer interested in UN, tell the UN to take its headquarters elsewhere, and cut its contributions. Europe will take it in a minute. And Trump would be happy too! :zany:.
I think NYC will survive just fine without it. The financial cost to the U.S. is more than the benefit. Europe can have it. Put it in Brussels. They like one world autocratic top down, tell you what to do whether you like it or not authority figure types. I would love to see the U.N. leave the U.S.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
And as for the prestige, do people realize the diplomatic immunity that comes with these diplomats?
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/sep/23/fine-diplomats-not-paying-parking-tickets
When I was in high school, we had a student whose father was associated with the U.N. The student used to get fined for excessive speeding constantly. He used to joke about how he had immunity from real consequences because of his father's position. Diplomats can literally get away with murder.
https://nypost.com/2017/10/11/why-dirty-diplomats-can-literally-get-away-with-murder/