US states that have or previously had only one legislative house

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What US states were there that have or previously had only one legislative house? I know that Nebraska still has a unicameral legislature even today and that Pennsylvania apparently had a unicameral legislature in Benjamin Franklin's time, but what about any other US states?

Jul 2019
New Jersey
Pennsylvania (1701 - 1790)
Delaware (1701 - 1776)
Georgia (1777 - 1788)
Vermont (1777 - 1836)

The Articles of Confederation also called for a unicameral Continental Congress.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Pennsylvania (1701 - 1790)
Delaware (1701 - 1776)
Georgia (1777 - 1788)
Vermont (1777 - 1836)

The Articles of Confederation also called for a unicameral Continental Congress.
Were those the only ones?

Also, I wonder what caused these US states to create a second legislative chamber.

Jul 2019
New Jersey
Were those the only ones?

Also, I wonder what caused these US states to create a second legislative chamber.
With the exception of Nebraska, which went unicameral in 1936, yes.

As a general rule, the Upper House in a legislature (including the House of Lords, the Senate, and the State Senates) were institutions of the upper classes, designed to protect them against a potentially populist House of Representatives. With the exception of Vermont, all of the states adopted a bicameral legislature once their power was firmly established. Vermont, which was very much an anti-elitist state at its inception, insisted on a levelling unicameral system (even as they had a Governor's Council which filled many of the Senate's functions). I don't know why they changed in 1836.

Reactions: Futurist