US stays neutral in WW2

May 2008
Re: US stays neutral

I assume this means pearl harbor is not attacked as well. That was one of the biggest instigators of American involvement.

I should have been more specific. In 1941 the United States declared war on Japan because of the attack on pearl harbor. It was shortly after that Hiler declared war on the USA. In my alternate timeline Japan still attacks pearl harbor and the United States still fights the war against Japan. But Hitler decided not to declare war on USA since Germany's treaty with Japan did not require Germany to declare war.

Question for POTUS without USA involvement would D-day still happen ? If D-day still happens would it have been a victory or defeat for the Allies

May 2008

D-Day just quickened up Hitler's defeat, it was USSR vs Europe with USSR getting huge help from US, Britain and France.

May 2008

Question for POTUS without USA involvement would D-day still happen ? If D-day still happens would it have been a victory or defeat for the Allies
Good question, since D-day was put togeather by US general Eisenhower, I would say it most likely would not, or at least not when it really did happen. Britian didn't have enough resources and soldiers to stage the largest amphibious assult in history without help from the US. Even with the lend lease they were still to hurt from battle of britian to do D-day and creat a viable new front for Germany to fight.

May 2008
Florida

This is a very interesting question. On the one hand, I have to agree with others when they say that Britain alone could not have won that war. But on the other hand, I look at Russian resolve in history, particularly against Napoleon, and I see that they come out on top every time. I've run out of hands here, but there are some other considerations to weigh in as well. In attacking Russia concurrently with Great Britain, German command made a ver costly blunder. Considering antagonism between the Soviet Union and Britain, that bastion of capitalism, I have to assume that a full German assault to the west would not have concerned Stalin much. With Britain's resources in tow, Hitler could have then turned the offensive eastward and focused the full might of the new German empire on the Soviet Union and most likely would have prevailed. So, in this scenario, I think Germany would have won the European war, despite historical Russian resolve and the terrible Russian winter.

avon

Forum Staff
May 2008

The question has numerous possible ramifications. I think that it is dangerous to assume that Britain and the Soviets could not have defeat Germany without the direct American involvement. Perhaps without US dollars and materiel that would be different. Here D-Day becomes an interesting point. The British were fighting a different kind of war from the US. It was based around the thesis that the British economy was stronger than the German's and by fighting a peripheral war (eg, the Mediterranean, Africa etc.) they would eventually strangle the Germans into deposing the Nazis. Stalin's insistence on a Second Front throughout 1942 and 1943 was effectively killed by the British. The Americans on the other hand, brought with them a tactic of direct frontal assault. So D-Day would not have happened without the US, but the British and Soviets together may well have won the war all the same.

May 2008

Im an American and im the last person to underestimate my country's contribution to Allied victory in the war. I dont belive the Allies couldnt have won without American involvement but who knows ?

Here is a scenario of what could have happened if America never entered the war in europe. Personally Im not a hundred percent sure this would have happened

Without American involvement Romel eventually defeats Montgomery. North africa becomes part of the growing German empire.

After thier victory in Africa the German high command focuses its efforts on the conquest of Britian. After months of fighting Britian falls under the wieght of the Axis war machine. Churchill along with the British royal family escapes to the untied States

With Britian defeated Germany focuses its forces on the war with the Soviet Union eventually capturing Moscow.

Hitler believing victory in the east is only a matter of time decides to open another front. In 1944 Germany invades America

May 2008

I think Hiter would go even farther into the middle east to get more and more oil to fule his army.

May 2008

I think Hiter would go even farther into the middle east to get more and more oil to fule his army.
Youre probably right but considering Hitler's personality he might have continued his push into africa and still invaded America

May 2008

Youre probably right but considering Hitler's personality he might have continued his push into africa and still invaded America
Why would he want to invade America? What would have been smart would have been to wait until the war is over, then build up his navy until it rivaled the US's (especilly with the envasion of Britian and the capture of her war ships) then attack Canada or mexico, to get a good hold on the north american continent, and then attack america. a full out invasion against america durning the war would have been a disaster, but then again Hiter is famous for creating those.

May 2008

Why would he want to invade America? What would have been smart would have been to wait until the war is over, then build up his navy until it rivaled the US's (especilly with the envasion of Britian and the capture of her war ships) then attack Canada or mexico, to get a good hold on the north american continent, and then attack america. a full out invasion against america durning the war would have been a disaster, but then again Hiter is famous for creating those.
If we were talking about Stalin then you'd be right. but Hitler was at heart an idle dreamer who never allowed small details to stand in his way. Fighting a war in europe and africa wouldnt have stopped him from invading America