USS Monitor sinks

Aug 2006
atanker said:
Many Union wooden warships had, at one time or another, chains drapped over their sides as an improvised "armor". Most "ironclad" ships were just that, clad. Even USS Monitor was basicaly an ironcovered wooden raft. The monitor turrets, however, were all iron armor. The Monitor's turret was 8in thick. Later monitors were much thicker. No monitor turret was ever penetrated by Confederate gunfire. On the other side, the base Confederate armor protection was 4in, with a backing od about 24in of wood. When CSS Atlanta was captured after a 20min engagement with a Union Monitor (whose 15in Dahlgren opened up the ships casemate) the CS Navy increased the thickness on their next ironclads (they commisioned 22 in all) to 6in and with the last ships, to 8in. It did no good. The 15in sb was capable of penetrating all. The most "formidable" Union naval vessel was probably USS New Ironsides. She was armed with 14 11in SBs and 2 150lb rifles. Her armor was about 4and a half inches with 22inches backing of wood.
Cite your sources, dont plagerize. Don't tell me you knew all that from memory.

Lord_Cronus

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Georgia
Breth said:
With all due respect, hardly any of us site our sources, myself included. My info either comes for Wiki, one of the books from library, the internet or off my head.

With that said, I have found this site on Ironclads and blockade runners. It has a tremendous amount of info on the ships.

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~jenkins/ironclads/ironclad.htm

Breth said:
atanker said:
Many Union wooden warships had, at one time or another, chains drapped over their sides as an improvised "armor". Most "ironclad" ships were just that, clad. Even USS Monitor was basicaly an ironcovered wooden raft. The monitor turrets, however, were all iron armor. The Monitor's turret was 8in thick. Later monitors were much thicker. No monitor turret was ever penetrated by Confederate gunfire. On the other side, the base Confederate armor protection was 4in, with a backing od about 24in of wood. When CSS Atlanta was captured after a 20min engagement with a Union Monitor (whose 15in Dahlgren opened up the ships casemate) the CS Navy increased the thickness on their next ironclads (they commisioned 22 in all) to 6in and with the last ships, to 8in. It did no good. The 15in sb was capable of penetrating all. The most "formidable" Union naval vessel was probably USS New Ironsides. She was armed with 14 11in SBs and 2 150lb rifles. Her armor was about 4and a half inches with 22inches backing of wood.
I am ..........a COMPLETE nerd........and have been reading about the civil war since I was 9.......and other military stuff.....I,m 39 now......was in the Army for 4years....MOS was 19k10..M-1 tank crew......had a fun 6 months in Saudi Arabia and Iraq between 1990-91.......into civil war re-enacting now......

Aug 2006
Nebraska
Lord_Cronus said:
Breth said:
Ummm, correct me if im wrong, but maybe the Union could have just but iron plates on thier ships, the British had done it long befoer the Civil War, just not all Iron I think. It would have protected the ships preety weel I think. The Merrimak didnt have too much munuverablity and the cannons probally would have been hard to lift up (to fire higher)

So maybe the Union would have iron plated the ships' hulls?
The USS Constitution, Old Iron Sides, was one of the first that put iron plates on it's sides down to the water line. It was very effective. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't most of the ships in the Civil War have some kind of iron scantlings?
Nuh uh. The wood was so thick and hard it seemed like iron.

Lord_Cronus

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Georgia
panzerbjorn said:
Lord_Cronus said:
Breth said:
Ummm, correct me if im wrong, but maybe the Union could have just but iron plates on thier ships, the British had done it long befoer the Civil War, just not all Iron I think. It would have protected the ships preety weel I think. The Merrimak didnt have too much munuverablity and the cannons probally would have been hard to lift up (to fire higher)

So maybe the Union would have iron plated the ships' hulls?
The USS Constitution, Old Iron Sides, was one of the first that put iron plates on it's sides down to the water line. It was very effective. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't most of the ships in the Civil War have some kind of iron scantlings?
Nuh uh. The wood was so thick and hard it seemed like iron.
You are correct. There was a ship that was iron down to the water line, maybe it was the Merrimack. I'll see if I can find it.

The USS Merrimack was a Union steam frigate that was burned when the Federals abandoned Norfolk. She burned to the waterline and sank. The Confederates raised her......determined that her engines could be repaired, so they converted her into an ironclad. Rechristened CSS Virginia, the rest is history.....................

Similar History Discussions