Veneral disease, etc in ancient Greece and Rome.

Sep 2014
Texas
With all the unprotected sex Greek and Roman men were having, how did they protect themselves? How did they keep from catching any of the diseases that were prevalent at that time?

.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25969906
I know the Romans reported on outbreaks of VD, and Thucydides wrote that General Nicias at Syracuse had a UTI so bad he was pissing blood. But with every man engaging in risky sed, how did they keep it from becoming an epedemic, and did the Greeks mention anything about these things?

Aug 2019
North
Which was?....... throw me a bone....
I don't know, but it must've been that the medical knowledge back then circulated much as it does these days. Diplomacy would have said: "We may fight each other, but let us share medical knowledge."

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Actually Romans noted the problem of venereal diseases and they tried and do what we do know: they invented some kinds of quite curious condoms.

For example a common condom was made by the fury of the mule mane. But to work properly it was necessary [they thought this] that the lovers made it after getting the fury.

Anyway the most incredible was the "victory condom" of the legionaries: they made it using the skin of killed enemies ...
[but about this I have to check historical sources, it could be among the urban legends related to Roman legionaries].

Less cruel, but probably the most useful, was the condom made using the intestine of a goat.

Reactions: bedb and Menshevik

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
Not sure it's cruel to use the skin of people already dead. making them out of people still alive might be a bit mean

Aug 2011
The Castle Anthrax
Not sure it's cruel to use the skin of people already dead. making them out of people still alive might be a bit mean
Quite right! It's macabre. Unless it is done in front of loved ones... Living loved ones. Then it would be cruel as well.