Vichy, the defence of the colonies, and the French Civil War (1940/2)

Isleifson

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque
That is interesting and odd.

True, an probably some others, like I said in the post. I recall now the British Indian Army. I should had written British Empire/Commonwealth, instead of UK. My apologies.

The “coexistence” there was certainly difficult for the French.

But, during Japanese ocupation, the French troops were still in Indochina, I mean, there was no retreat?

I also took a look here, to recall some details:
French Indochina in World War II - Wikipedia
The story is from the 9 March 1945 - operation Meigo Sakusen, the destruction of the French colonial forces and the killing of the french civilian.

His best friend was more lucky : he retreated with Sabattier to China.

Mar 2015
Yorkshire
Actually, if the info here is anything to go by, you might actually be correct about the US breaking off relations with Vichy France after the Nazis occupied it in 1942:

The same thing appears to be stated in the last paragraph here:

It also states that FDR only recognized de Gaulle's government in late 1944 and previously tried to find other leadership for the Free French movement, such as General Henri Giraud (who initially cooperated with de Gaulle but later got displaced by de Gaulle).
The story is from the 9 March 1945 - operation Meigo Sakusen, the destruction of the French colonial forces and the killing of the french civilian.

His best friend was more lucky : he retreated with Sabattier to China.

Thank you Isleifson.

Your contribution is the prime reason I continue as an active member of this website. I thought I had read everything on this Theatre of WW2 as three of my Uncles were involved in Burmah and one a Marine Commando dying at the Battle of Kangaw and one was later under command of General Gracey.

Never heard of this Japanese coup before - thanks again.

Here is what wiki says:

Reactions: Isleifson