vietnam language

Aug 2016
earth
Nowadays, we know Vietnam are using language like French, which was invented by French. Before that, Vietnam was using other language.
I would like to know how was the new language came into practise in Vietnam. Was there any trouble? How are current Vietnamese doing with their historical documents?

Nov 2015
Bye, bye
Sorry, but Vietnamese speak Vietnamese.:relieved:
They use a Latin alphabet brought by a French priest of Portuguese nationality in the 17th century: Alexandre de Rhodes.
He phoned the Vietnamese with the Latin alphabet for the purpose of evangelization.
As the Vietnamese adopted this alphabet because simpler used than that of the Chinese and modified it, improved it while adding accents to adapt it to the Vietnamese pronunciation.

There are French words used in everyday language like:
Viet / French
pho mat / fromage (cheese).
Kilomét / Kilometre (kilometer)
mét / metre (meter)
bahn-mi / pain de mie (soft bread)

Aug 2016
earth
Sorry, but Vietnamese speak Vietnamese.:relieved:
They use a Latin alphabet brought by a French priest of Portuguese nationality in the 17th century: Alexandre de Rhodes.
He phoned the Vietnamese with the Latin alphabet for the purpose of evangelization.
As the Vietnamese adopted this alphabet because simpler used than that of the Chinese and modified it, improved it while adding accents to adapt it to the Vietnamese pronunciation.

There are French words used in everyday language like:
Viet / French
pho mat / fromage (cheese).
Kilomét / Kilometre (kilometer)
mét / metre (meter)
bahn-mi / pain de mie (soft bread)

To "evangelization", do people have to use Latin alphabet? Why did Vietnamese have to evangelization? something superior than vietnamese tradition?

I think chinese characters are simpler than French alphabet because a 5 years old normal general IQ chinese boy can fluently use chinese characters, while a 50 years old super smart language chinese expert, not able to correctly speak French.
And I see 1 billion chinese using chinese characters while only 50 million
French using french alphabet. That shows chinese language is simpler to learn/use than French language.

Nov 2014
India
To "evangelization", do people have to use Latin alphabet? Why did Vietnamese have to evangelization? something superior than vietnamese tradition?

I think chinese characters are simpler than French alphabet because a 5 years old normal general IQ chinese boy can fluently use chinese characters, while a 50 years old super smart language chinese expert, not able to correctly speak French.
French using french alphabet. That shows chinese language is simpler to learn/use than French language.
You are really funny.

Feb 2014
Asia
Nowadays, we know Vietnam are using language like French, which was invented by French. Before that, Vietnam was using other language.
I would like to know how was the new language came into practise in Vietnam. Was there any trouble? How are current Vietnamese doing with their historical documents?
During early 20th century Vietnamese language was written in four different scripts :- Quốc Ngữ, Chữ Nôm, Chinese and French. And it were not evangelists but Emperor Khải Định who changed the official script from Chữ Nôm to Quốc Ngữ in 1918. And tehre was no resistence, Vietnamese people readily accepted Quốc Ngữ, as they were brainwashed that Chữ Nôm is really difficult and cause of illiteracy in Vietnam..

Sep 2016
天下

No, they didn't have to use Latin alphabet, but it's far faster to learn. An adult can learn it in one sitting, but to memorize Chinese characters you need years of study.

And your argument is completely wrong.

Aug 2016
earth
No, they didn't have to use Latin alphabet, but it's far faster to learn. An adult can learn it in one sitting, but to memorize Chinese characters you need years of study.

And your argument is completely wrong.
No, no, your statement is absolutely,wholely, completely wrong. Latin alphabet is very very very difficult to learn. Millions of talent chinese learn english/french for 10 years , still not able to speak or write the language.
but all chinese children can read/write chinese characters fluently after 3 years education.

based on this understanding, i would suggest french should replace their difficult latin alphabet with simpler chinese characters. french government should do that just like vietnamese did.

Maribat

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
No, no, your statement is absolutely,wholely, completely wrong. Latin alphabet is very very very difficult to learn. Millions of talent chinese learn english/french for 10 years , still not able to speak or write the language.
but all chinese children can read/write chinese characters fluently after 3 years education.

based on this understanding, i would suggest french should replace their difficult latin alphabet with simpler chinese characters. french government should do that just like vietnamese did.
No, the French would not even abandon the letters which are not pronounced! They are probably happy to see the Brits getting the hard time learning French.

Nov 2014
India
No, the French would not even abandon the letters which are not pronounced! They are probably happy to see the Brits getting the hard time learning French.
Yep, French just keep on adding spelling to a word, even after pronounciation of the word ends!

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India

What a joke. A kid would need to put only 10% effort to learn Latin Alphabets than wasting time on remembering Chinese characters. Vietnam made a great decision by switching to Latin alphabets.