Viking hygiene?

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
It is shocking to realize that farmers in Niedersachsen were guilty of piggism.
Now, now, let's not be hasty in accusing indiscriminately the Niedersächsishe or other Germanics of -isms!

As You can see, some were more open-minded and accepted pigs ;)

(schwein(e) = pig(s), ofcourse.)

Reactions: Linschoten

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Perhaps I'm losing the plot here but this building seems very impressive for a lowly farmer?
Or maybe it's the title misleading You? The "Low" is about "Low Germany" (as region), not referring to the farmer.

It's about the typology of the farm, the farm itself could be impressively big or rather small, depending of the farmer's wealth or/and the period.

Also, we shoud bare in mind that' though the building was rather big, it regrouped what in other farm typologies were 3-4 separate buildings (house, barn, stable,etc). So it is impressive, but it isn't that big, after all.

A couple of pics, for the perspective:

PADDYBOY

Historum Emeritas
Jan 2007
Scotland
Yes. By lowly farmer I mean poor farmers. There would have been some farmers with lots of land, some with barely enough land to feed themselves and their families and many with no land at all who would have offered their services to the wealthier farmers.
If we want to know what hygeinic conditions farmers lived by, we must count the majority before the minority. I have no idea what conditions the landless farmers lived in but I would guess that they made up the majority of land workers.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Yes. By lowly farmer I mean poor farmers. There would have been some farmers with lots of land, some with barely enough land to feed themselves and their families and many with no land at all who would have offered their services to the wealthier farmers.
If we want to know what hygeinic conditions farmers lived by, we must count the majority before the minority. I have no idea what conditions the landless farmers lived in but I would guess that they made up the majority of land workers.
I'd say that going that road might need hundreds of pages: social organization of the rural world was very diverse in Europe.

The first example came to mind on how relative "poor" and social status can be is that in the 18th c, during the Austro-Ottoman wars, a serf (that would be the lowest state, if we except the gypsies) was judged for attacking an Austrian officer. At the trial, he argued in his defense that he became violent when the Austrian officer attempted to requisition his horse as some 6 months earlier the army already had requisitioned another one. That makes two horses, owned by a landless, a not free pesant ...

Reactions: PADDYBOY

Isleifson

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque
The word Low German or Low Saxon has nothing to do with the social condition of the farmers but with the land Low German language is used.