Vikings in the Desert ! ?? America Unearthed May 28

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
My question was slightly tongue-in-cheek. As far as my personal opinion is worth anything here, I don't want particularly want to get the thread banned. It would be nice however if thread creators (be it here, or the ones advertising their youtube videos) actually got involved in a discussion rather than just promoting.
In Italy we say ... "to ask is licit, to answer is courtesy" ... you deserve the courtesy of an answer ...

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
The moderators have been having some discussions about this.

Given that we believe the origin of the vessel to in fact, not be Viking, this thread is moved to Speculative so that you may discuss.

MrKap

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
Here you go budz!

1559082992162.png

Other great resources. Berry Fell Bronze Age America.

Peterbourough petroglyphs.

And remember, a rock with spirals and glyph. Dry a leather over it, and you've got a map.

Oct 2014
California
Please take a moment to read my many posts here.
Besides that, I just happen to be an author of a history book who was invited to be on a history related TV show. I was just sharing.
Not here to spam anyone.
However, my book may be of interest to Southwest and California and Mexico History fans and students... www.oldmissions.com ;)

Oct 2014
California
This was simply to share with other members that I am on a history related tv show tonight, not to discuss if the petroglyph is a Viking ship or any other ship. Same as I would share with any other of my friends.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Please take a moment to read my many posts here.

Besides that, I just happen to be an author of a history book who was invited to be on a history related TV show. I was just sharing.

Not here to spam anyone.

However, my book may be of interest to Southwest and California and Mexico History fans and students... www.oldmissions.com;)
I really like you posts about Baja California, David K.

I confess that when you talked in the OP about a Viking ship, I raised my eyebrow.

I have the Travel Channel available here in Portugal, but still couldn’t find the documentary, I am curious to see it. But Runa on post #3 raised a relevant question: It was considered the possibly that the ship is aboriginal? After all the Incas used sails, and it is possible that the Mesoamericans also used them:

Sails in Aboriginal Mesoamerica: Reevaluating Thompson's Argument on JSTOR (in this article Jeremiah F. Epstein questions it, but I don’t think the theme is closed)

EDIT:

This was simply to share with other members that I am on a history related tv show tonight, not to discuss if the petroglyph is a Viking ship or any other ship. Same as I would share with any other of my friends.
Sorry, just saw this after my post.

Oct 2014
California
The show is the Americas Unearthed, Season 4 premiere episode (#1). It airs here at 10 pm Eastern and Pacific time. The episode is called "Vikings in the Desert".

I first took a photo of this petroglyph in 1974, here that is:

Here is a photo of it in 2017:

Here it is last February with the TV crew:

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
What I did not like about the show was one claimed the "Viking Ship" could have used the Northwest Passage to get to the Colorado River. To be believable one would have to show the Passage was ice free and how did a Viking ship get enough provisions to make the trip?

Pruitt

Similar History Discussions