Vinča script - a myth

Aug 2018
london
You wrote:

Vinča script is an interesting idea, but ultimately only a myth popularized by the rising Serbian nationalism of the 1990s and believed to this day
That's not correct. I'm sure some crackpot Serbian nationalists have written stuff about it, but I've never heard of them. Like I said the notion of Vinca writing is taken seriously by respected archaeologists and linguists who have no particular interest in boosting the egos of Serbian nationalists.

The idea that the Vinca language was Serbian and the Cyrillic alphabet is directly descended from it is not a theory I've seen any serious academic propose.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
The idea that the Vinca language was Serbian and the Cyrillic alphabet is directly descended from it is not a theory I've seen any serious academic propose.
And yet is quite prevalent here in the Balkans and I would argue it is much more known than the "official" theory that Vinča symbols could be a script. Vinča script is one of the cornerstones of the "ancient Serbs" theory. I have read Haarman's theory and sure, it is interesting, but it is still unproven.