Violence in earliest Islam

Nov 2016
Germany
I want to write a Wiki article and there you have to cite mostly secondary literature, while primary sources should only be complementary.
I see. Are you designing a German equivalent of the English Wiki article on "Islam and war" or one with special focus on Muhammad´s lifetime, corresponding to the English Wiki article on Muhammad´s "Military career"? Anyway, the literature lists of these articles could be interesting for you.

Islam and war - Wikipedia

Military career of Muhammad - Wikipedia

Islamische Expansion – Wikipedia

(the articles are surely known to you)

Here is a detailed and somehow frightening list of 264 Muslim war campaigns ("religion of peace" ???) through the centuries:

(the source is "Alexander Mikaberidze (31 July 2011). Conflict and Conquest in the Islamic World: A Historical Encyclopedia. ABC-CLIO. p XXXV-XXXVI."

List of Wars in Pax Islamic History (c. 624—c. 1999) - Materia Islamica

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Cornwall
Thanks for the link, but I was thinking more about secondary sources. I want to write a Wiki article and there you have to cite mostly secondary literature, while primary sources should only be complementary.
Can a 'primary' source be written 100 years later? Maybe it can but. as with many islamic writings of the whole 600-1000 (AD) era (at least). these stories should be treated with extreme caution. But they are often all that we have. It's like a monumental game of Chinese Whispers

May 2015
Germany
I see. Are you designing a German equivalent of the English Wiki article on "Islam and war" or one with special focus on Muhammad´s lifetime, corresponding to the English Wiki article on Muhammad´s "Military career"? Anyway, the literature lists of these articles could be interesting for you.

Islam and war - Wikipedia

Military career of Muhammad - Wikipedia

Islamische Expansion – Wikipedia

(the articles are surely known to you)
Checked the first two ones already (the second one is the one I intend to rework, by the way).

Here is a detailed and somehow frightening list of 264 Muslim war campaigns ("religion of peace" ???) through the centuries:

(the source is "Alexander Mikaberidze (31 July 2011). Conflict and Conquest in the Islamic World: A Historical Encyclopedia. ABC-CLIO. p XXXV-XXXVI."

List of Wars in Pax Islamic History (c. 624—c. 1999) - Materia Islamica
Thanks, will add that book to my collection, though I don't expect it to be particularily in-depth. 264 campaigns is a very modest estimation, by the way. Just consider the fact that every Islamic frontier culture maintained the custom of annual (slave) raids.

Nov 2016
Germany
Can a 'primary' source be written 100 years later?
Indeed "primary source" is contrasted only with "secondary source". Ishaq/Hisham´s "Life of Muhammad" is a secondary source which is based on primary sources (= reports by people contemporary to Muhammad). In relation to secondary literature (= scientific representation/analysis etc.) the "Life of Muhammad" is just a "source" to which historical "secondary literature" is referring. Insofar your question makes sense.

Nov 2016
Germany
I would say that the book itself is a secondary source, but the Hadiths (the real meat) are primary sources
´Primary source´ is a very relative term and sometimes applied in a confusing manner. Of course one could label a Hadith a primary source if it is the only or earliest source of an information, however, Hadiths explicitely name persons from the past as their source of information, what makes these persons, as it were, a primal source. Anyway, if the definition of primary source includes materiality, Hadiths are primary sources, if it includes originality, they are secondary sources. As an alternative I propose a distinction between primary source (Hadiths) and primal source (the cited narrator).

Narrated 'Aisha: That the Prophet said to her, "You have been shown to me twice in my dream. I saw you pictured on a piece of silk and some-one said (to me). 'This is your wife.' When I uncovered the picture, I saw that it was yours. I said, 'If this is from Allah, it will be done."

Last edited: