Visual Depictions and Portraiture of Historical Figures

Apr 2014
Liverpool, England
"It is of course true that incest was a privilege of royal families in ancient Egypt." Tammuz 29 May.

Was it? I heard a radio talk on this subject some years ago, and so cannot quote a source, but it was stated that recovered papyrus marriage contracts had been analysed. The proportion in which it was specifically stated that the bride and groom were born of the same mother and the same father was considerable. Given that not every family produced sons and daughters in conveniently matching pairs, it appeared that brother-sister marriages were positively the preferred option when such a pairing was available. The families concerned were not royal, but it may be that only a higher class produced such documents..

Jan 2019
Montreal, QC
There's also papyrological evidence that Roman soldiers in Egypt married their sisters, and in AD 295 the Roman emperor Galerius, while ruling over Egypt and the Near East, issued an edict forbidding incest.

That being said, if the topic of incest in Egypt is to be discussed, I'd rather it happen in a new thread.
If I may have the last word -- I find that the topic of incest is oftentimes way overblown in history.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
There's also papyrological evidence that Roman soldiers in Egypt married their sisters, and in AD 295 the Roman emperor Galerius, while ruling over Egypt and the Near East, issued an edict forbidding incest.

That being said, if the topic of incest in Egypt is to be discussed, I'd rather it happen in a new thread.
You're quite sure this thread isn't about incest? :think:

Similar History Discussions