Visual Depictions and Portraiture of Historical Figures

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
General from the Thirty Years' War, Albrecht Von Wallenstein, depicted as Mars, on the ceiling in the main hall of his palace in Prague:

View attachment 22113
Wallenstein is a really fascinating figure, full of ambiguity. I like this painting by Piloty showing Seni, his astrologer, looking at his corpse after he was murdered:

Carl_Theodor_von_Piloty_-_Seni_at_the_Dead_Body_of_Wallenstein_-_WGA17765.jpg

"On 25 February, by imperial order, Wallenstein, Generalissimus and Duke of Friedland, was murdered together with the counts Terzky und Kinski by a number of officers in Eger, on account of the discovery of high treason on his part, as desired by the king in Hungary Ferdinand III. I saw the room in Eger with two side doors bearing the ineradicable stain of Wallenstein’s blood, and also the staircase down which his corpse was dragged feet first, he who only an hour before had been a great duke and is now become the least and most unworthy of all men – so swiftly can the Lord put down the mighty from their seat." (Michael Heubel, a contemporary official)

Oct 2018
Sydney
Wallenstein is a really fascinating figure, full of ambiguity. I like this painting by Piloty showing Seni, his astrologer, looking at his corpse after he was murdered:

View attachment 22114

"On 25 February, by imperial order, Wallenstein, Generalissimus and Duke of Friedland, was murdered together with the counts Terzky und Kinski by a number of officers in Eger, on account of the discovery of high treason on his part, as desired by the king in Hungary Ferdinand III. I saw the room in Eger with two side doors bearing the ineradicable stain of Wallenstein’s blood, and also the staircase down which his corpse was dragged feet first, he who only an hour before had been a great duke and is now become the least and most unworthy of all men – so swiftly can the Lord put down the mighty from their seat." (Michael Heubel, a contemporary official)
Great painting! Yes, I only have a rudimentary knowledge of Wallenstein, but what little I know is fascinating (his possible ambitions/divided loyalties, his penchant for raising large armies in short spaces of time, his skills as a defender, his fostering of personal loyalty from his mercenaries, etc).

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Speaking of incest....................

Here's Lord Byron.

View attachment 21043
George Gordon Byron in Albanian Dress - painted by Thomas Phillips 1813
"I am of British blood but my soul is Greek! Please send me to Mount Olympus once I will become a martyr for Greek independence, will you?" -- Lord Byron (in my imagination).