Jan 2017
Sydney
show me the US space program now ,
last I checked any US cosmonaut has to hitch a ride on Russian gear

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
From all accounts this appears to be a remake of 1960s US Project Pluto. Which was essentially nuclear powered ramjet. And ramjets (or faster scramjets) require there to be some sort of gas for them to operate. So, no space propulsion.

EDIT: It is worth noting that the concept was in the end seen as too insane even during that era of Cold War insanity
Thanks, I knew the US had a program back in 60s but couldn’t recall the name. I do remember a Project Kiwi - a nuclear engine that the US tested in the 60s. Are they related?

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
Last edited:

janusdviveidis

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Lithuania
show me the US space program now ,
last I checked any US cosmonaut has to hitch a ride on Russian gear
Actually lately most were flown by variety of private USA operators, but for some reason in 2020 most scheduled flights are again by Russians.

Apr 2018
India
Basically a cruise missile with nearly unlimited range powered by a conventional first stage rocket engine to get it up in the air and generate speed and followed by a nuclear powered ramjet second stage driven by super heated gases where the heat is generated via a nuclear reaction.

Project Pluto - Wikipedia
9M730 Burevestnik - Wikipedia
Ah. Nice. Reminds me of something from distant past when chickens were bonier but tastier (or so I heard).

SS-10 Fobs.jpg

That was the first time they bluffed about bypassing NORAD's EWS.