Vladimir Putin Speech and Russia's most recent nuclear powered missile

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
the threats by themselves are not very important ,
but when the means are established , the weapons prepared , military bases located around it and large military rehearsal held on the borders
it tend to be taken as a worry

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Does anyone really know if a) these weapons really exist or are they b) “vaporware”? Are they c) operational or notional? Has anyone in here seen one of these ‘miracle’ weapons? If real, there might be some tweaking the US needs to do.

I’m more interested to know what materials these missiles might be made of.
Basically a cruise missile with nearly unlimited range powered by a conventional first stage rocket engine to get it up in the air and generate speed and followed by a nuclear powered ramjet second stage driven by super heated gases where the heat is generated via a nuclear reaction.

Project Pluto - Wikipedia
9M730 Burevestnik - Wikipedia
Now try to imagine such a missile launched from Russia that travels around the world indefinitely,waiting for a target. For how long? Forever? I think not. Things, like fuselages wear out over time, targeting systems develop software glitches, rudders break screw come loose and so on. What a nightmare...

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
@ Royal 44 ......" Did Yuri Gagarin set foot one the moon? Did any Russians/Soviets? "

Since several years US cosmonauts have to fly on Russian rockets , the US space program being now largely mothballed
going to the moon was a very successful publicity stunt largely void of any follows on

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Janus! I am a Belarusian. Dzukai called us Gudai. I consider you as our own. You maynot know the Russians will defend their territories at all cost. Irrespective the cost. Even if it cost a 'penny' or plenty.

I am learning Lithuanian. Don't know why. :)
Hm. They didn’t defend their “territories” (ie, stolen land) very well when the wheels came off the Russian empire.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Which missile are your referring that is nuclear powered moving at hypersonic speed? Six new strategic weapons were announced a year ago. Two were nuclear powered.

9M730 Burevestnik is a cruise missile that has virtually 'unlimited'. It has limits but it can travel around the world many times. : 9M730 Burevestnik - Wikipedia
Poseidon torpedo also has 'unlimited' range. It's designed to devestate navy bases, aircraft carriers, submarines. Any object in water. It's the largest torpedo ever designed. : Status-6 Oceanic Multipurpose System - Wikipedia

Neither weapon travels at hypesonic speed. I doubt it is possible to travel in water at hypersonic speed.

Russia has two hypersonic missiles
Kh-47M2 Kinzhal missile that can carry nuclear warheads fitted on planes. Its range is 2000-3000km only. Therefore, it is not nuclear powered. Kh-47M2 Kinzhal - Wikipedia
And Avangard (hypersonic glide vehicle) weighing 50 tons that is released in space by ICBM . Avangard (hypersonic glide vehicle) - Wikipedia

---
When approaching a target, the glider is capable of sharp high speed horizontal and vertical evasive maneuvers in flight, making it "absolutely invulnerable for any missile defence system," according to Russian officials. According to Russian President Putin, Avangard strikes "like a meteorite, like a fireball". The blast yield of a nuclear warhead carried by the Avangard is reportedly more than 2 megatons TNT. The Avangard has been demonstrated to operate at up to Mach 27 during the latest flight test.
---

Neither hypersonic weapon is nuclear powered.

Russia is developing 3M22 Zircon hypersonic cruise missile that will be used in Navy ie fitted on war-ships. Its range is 1,000km. So not nuclear powered. : 3M22 Zircon - Wikipedia

In summary, six strategic weapons were announced that are in Russian military. Two were hypersonic not nuclear powered. Two were nuclear powered that can travel around the world but not at hypersonic speed. The remaining two
a newly built RS-28 Sarmata very sophisticated heavy (220 tons) ballistic with some maneuverability able to carry a heavy load - both nuclear and non-nuclear warheads. It can reach western hemisphere flying over southern pole. And hit any target on the planet within 30 minutes with precision given GPS (Russia uses its GLONAS) .RS-28 Sarmat - Wikipedia
The last one was a laser weapon Peresvet. Russians don't reveal how they are going to use the weapon. It remains to be a secret. : Peresvet (laser weapon) - Wikipedia
Announcing a new weapons system is not the same thing as actually having it.