Voting for Historum Essay Contest#3

Essay Contest#3: A Military Campaign

• Eagles Over Europe: A Short Introduction to 1805

• Thutmose III, the Napoleon of Egypt, at Megiddo.

• A medieval Bromance

• The Vandal and Gothic Wars

• The Portuguese intervention in Ethiopia (1541-1543) at the eyes of the Ethiopian Royal...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nov 2016
Germany
I favor "A medieval Bromance" because I like the focus on the two protagonists and the way they are brought close to the reader as characters. This character aspect could perhaps have been presented even more intensively, but I don't know the information situation. The "pop-esque" style that another commentator complains about also caught my attention and reminds me at one place, if I understand it correctly, a bit of the manner in which 'The Nanny' Fran Drescher looks narcissistically into the camera, which an actor usually should never do. But you can let that pass, because this is not a doctoral thesis. Of course the other contributions are also praiseworthy, but I decided to give preference to the one discussed here for the reason mentioned.

I mostly agree with @Abraham95 and @Tammuz, I think that in the next contests the authors should vote freely: In their work or in other.
I am of the opinion that authors should be free to choose whether to vote or not and that under no circumstances should they vote for their own contribution, because it leads to a distortion of competition if some authors abstain from voting for themselves and others do not.

Last edited:

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
On another site I'm a member of, a similar style competition (for short stories) attracted 16 entries this month and only got 20 votes - indicating the voters were mostly the authors, so I think we're doing well.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
So far, chip has promised:

* The winning essay will be showcased on the Home Page.
* There will be a sidebar showing the current contest.
* All contest entries will be archived for users to read.

I'm working on medals.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I am of the opinion that authors should be free to choose whether to vote or not and that under no circumstances should they vote for their own contribution, because it leads to a distortion of competition if some authors abstain from voting for themselves and others do not.
My apologies, I misunderstood you in a previous post. But that is the current situation!

Reactions: Tammuz