Wallis Simpson and UK

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
In 1930s Britain it was simply not possible to have a divorced foreign commoner as Queen. Not only in Britain, Simpson as Queen would probably have disapproval throughout the Commonwealth as well, producing a diplomatic problem that Britain would rather avoid.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
I am sure that her having become involved with the prince while married didn't help. There were all sort of rumors about her sexual skills and so on. The marriage seems odd, as she was less attractive then the king, and he presumably could have married almost any beautiful younger woman.

Her second husband was much wealthier than the first, and she apparently had several affairs with prominent men. The name Simpson was actually Solomon, and her 2nd husband was 1/2 or 1/4 Jewish by ancestry. He went to Harvard, was a naturalized British subject, and had been an officer in the Coldstream Guards in WWI. I am not sure if that Jewish connection also caused problems. However, she was certainly an upper middle class commoner.

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
Documentaries about Mrs Simpson are showed regularly here and most of us would side with her. Not that we really care one way or the other.
I wouldn't, she was at the very least a gold digger who worked her way up the social ladder by the men she "associated" with.
Mind you, she did everyone a favour by ensuring that Edward abandoned his role as king.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
I wouldn't, she was at the very least a gold digger who worked her way up the social ladder by the men she "associated" with.
Mind you, she did everyone a favour by ensuring that Edward abandoned his role as king.
That's pretty accurate. I don't think she was a courtesan or anything like that. However, she was using relationships with men to advance her wealth and social standing. For example, she had been involved with Musilini's son in law who was a count. The second husband was wealthy, some of his family was fancier than hers and travelled in higher circles. She was able to get herself introduced to the prince through one of his mistresses.

She also didn't seem to care about causing Edward to lose the throne. Furthermore, he was being pushed to marry a somewhat younger woman and produce an heir.

Similar History Discussions