War Movie Miscellany

May 2011
New Iberia, La.
QUOTE: “Are you quitting on me? Well, are you? Then quit, you slimy ******* walrus-looking piece of sh-t! Get the f–k off of my obstacle! Get the f–k down off of my obstacle! NOW! MOVE IT! Or I’m going to rip your balls off, so you cannot contaminate the rest of the world! I will motivate you, Private Pyle, IF IT SHORT-D–KS EVERY CANNIBAL ON THE CONGO!” — Gunnery Sgt. Hartman, “Full Metal Jacket” (1987)

maxresdefault[1].jpg

May 2011
New Iberia, La.
FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION - THE BEAST

“The Beast” (also known as “The Beast of War”) is a war movie set in Afghanistan in 1981 in the second year of the Soviet invasion. It was directed by Kevin Reynolds. It is based on an off Broadway play. William Mastrosimone adapted his play entitled “Nanawatai”. The movie opens with a poem by Rudyard Kipling; “When you’re wounded an’left on Afghanistan’s plains / An’ the women come out to cut up your remains. / Just roll to your rifle an’ blow out your brains. / An’ go to your Gawd like a soldier”.
It is hard to explain why this movie is almost unheard of. On Rotten Tomatoes, it has only one review. It made less than $1 million at the box office. It certainly looks like Columbia Pictures dropped the ball. It deserved better. Part of the problem may have been the stupid title. Although the tank does resemble a beast, the title must have thrown viewers off. The film is not great, but it is a good effort. It is well acted, especially by Dzundsa as the despicable commander. He has the best line when he summarizes Russian tank doctrine: “out of commission, become a pillbox; out of ammo, become a bunker; out of time, become heroes.”
It is hard to explain why this movie is almost unheard of. On Rotten Tomatoes, it has only one review. It made less than $1 million at the box office. It certainly looks like Columbia Pictures dropped the ball. It deserved better. Part of the problem may have been the stupid title. Although the tank does resemble a beast, the title must have thrown viewers off. The film is not great, but it is a good effort. It is well acted, especially by Dzundsa as the despicable commander. He has the best line when he summarizes Russian tank doctrine: “out of commission, become a pillbox; out of ammo, become a bunker; out of time, become heroes.”

220px-The_Beast_(1988_film)[1].jpg

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Me too. Some years ago I heard that some folks in Great Britain were upset that it was “too focused” on Americans. Really? An American movie about a small American unit fighting in Europe - hilarious! I know the British and Canadians were a little more than half of the forces that landed in Normandy, so...make your own movie, LOL.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Sturgeon Lake Mn.
In reply to post 107---They Were Expendable. John Ford. Very bleak. IMO the best WW II picture. Well, that's my opinion today.

Many interesting stories about that picture. I'm sure Buff will tell them.

1305EAE4-FBA0-4568-8B8F-4FD43EA91736.jpeg

Last edited:

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Wasn’t this a movie about torpedo boats in the Philippines about last days there in early 1942 with John Wayne? Can’t remember the name off-hand. Donna Reed was in it too. I could be way off the mark here, but I did see that movie a couple of times. The movie had a somewhat sad quality to it, almost like a requiem for a time that was slipping away.

Another movie I’ve seen over and over again when it appears on TV was a movie I always knew as “The Flight of ther Mary Ann” but which may just have been called “Air Force” also chronicled the first days of the War in the Pacific. It was the story of the crew of a B-17 bomber that traveled to various places in the Pacific. Anyway, for a young kid growing up, this was high adventure.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions