War Movie Miscellany

May 2011
New Iberia, La.
BACK-STORY - Black Hawk Down

“Black Hawk Down” is a film by Ridley Scott (“Kingdom of Heaven”) based on the bestseller by Mark Bowden. Bowden wrote the definitive history of the Battle of Mogadishu and the events surrounding it. Ken Nolan adapted the book with input from Bowden. The movie was filmed in Morocco. The Pentagon cooperated with helicopters and even provided Rangers to do the fast roping (some of whom had been in the battle). The movie was a critical and financial success. It won Oscars for Editing and Sound and was nominated for Cinematography and Director.

8f802d11c51378894e01766302f792ba[1].jpg

Offspring

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
România
Many of the actors in this scene were genuine refugees, lending emotional power to the movie.

The movie received its' premiere in New York in November 1942, the same month as the Allied landings in North Africa:

A film who's extraordinary reputation is richly deserved.
In a bit of marketing savvy, its premiere was bumped up when Casablanca was captured.
I love that movie, but I'm always a bit sad when I think about it, because I remember how forgotten The Ox-Bow Incident is. I heartily recommend it to everyone.

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
BACK-STORY - Black Hawk Down

“Black Hawk Down” is a film by Ridley Scott (“Kingdom of Heaven”) based on the bestseller by Mark Bowden. Bowden wrote the definitive history of the Battle of Mogadishu and the events surrounding it. Ken Nolan adapted the book with input from Bowden. The movie was filmed in Morocco. The Pentagon cooperated with helicopters and even provided Rangers to do the fast roping (some of whom had been in the battle). The movie was a critical and financial success. It won Oscars for Editing and Sound and was nominated for Cinematography and Director.

View attachment 22032

Enjoyed the film -- and too my limited knowledge of the battle'-- read a few books but not many---- but was there complaints in the USA that so many British Actors played roles Euan Macgragor, Orlando Bloom, Jason Isaccs, Ewan Bremmer?

Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
Enjoyed the film -- and too my limited knowledge of the battle'-- read a few books but not many---- but was there complaints in the USA that so many British Actors played roles Euan Macgragor, Orlando Bloom, Jason Isaccs, Ewan Bremmer?
I never heard any such complaint, but I do recall there was some controversy surrounding one of the characters portrayed, because of some criminal activity. I don't recall the details.

Fiver

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
I never heard any such complaint, but I do recall there was some controversy surrounding one of the characters portrayed, because of some criminal activity. I don't recall the details.
Many of the characters are composites of several men, but the names of real men were used, with one exception. John Grimes was a false name for a real man, who earned the Silver Star that day. If anything, the movie underplays the actions of the real man. His real name was not used because he was later convicted of raping his 6 year old daughter, dishonorably discharged, and sentenced to 30 years in prison. We like to divide history into heroes and villains, but 'Grimesy' was both.

Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
Many of the characters are composites of several men, but the names of real men were used, with one exception. John Grimes was a false name for a real man, who earned the Silver Star that day. If anything, the movie underplays the actions of the real man. His real name was not used because he was later convicted of raping his 6 year old daughter, dishonorably discharged, and sentenced to 30 years in prison. We like to divide history into heroes and villains, but 'Grimesy' was both.
That would be the one.

May 2011
New Iberia, La.
TRIVIA - The Train
TRIVIA: Wikipedia, imdb, Cinema Retro #6

1. Burt Lancaster had original director Arthur Penn fired after three days and replaced with John Frankenheimer. Frankenheimer envisioned the movie as a character study of the men of the Resistance, but Lancaster insisted on it being also about the trains.
2. The marshalling yard bombardment scene involved 140 explosions, a ton of TNT, 2,000 gallons of gasoline, and 22 cameras. It took the explosives expert six weeks to set the explosives. The French railway allowed the destruction because they wanted to destroy the yard, but did not have the funding.
3. Lancaster sprained his knee stepping in a hole while playing golf. Frankenheimer dealt with it by having Labiche get wounded while crossing the pedestrian bridge.
4. It was nominated for Best Original Screenplay.
5. Lancaster performed all his stunts.
6. The movie is loosely based on a saving a train full of art, but in reality the train was routed around Paris until the Allies took the city.
7. Train Magazine chose it as the #1 train movie in its 100 Greatest Train Movies issue.
8. No models were used in the filming.
9. In the train derailment, the train was going too fast and wiped out almost all of the cameras.
10. The Spitfire strafing the train before it entered the tunnel was added after the studio felt the movie needed one more action scene. It almost ended in disaster when the Spitfire came within thirty feet of hitting the helicopter Frankenheimer was filming in. His wife fainted.
11. The original ending had Labiche and Von Waldheim shooting it out.
12. Lancaster (who had been a circus performer) did all his own stunts.
13. It is based on the book by Rose Villand who was a French art historian and member of the Resistance. She secretly recorded Nazi plundering of art and helped save thousands of works. She is in “The Monuments Men” as Clair Simone.
14. This was the second time Frankenheimer took over a Lancaster film for a fired director. The first was “Birdman of Alcatraz”. He demanded the film be entitled “John Frankenheimer’s The Train”. He also demanded total control over the final cut and a Ferrari. When the last scene in “Seven Days in May” had to be reshot, it was done in Paris where “The Train” was shooting and Lancaster’s character gets into the Ferrari to drive off.
15. The producers purchased 4 locomotives, 40 railroad cars, 7 railroad buildings, and various German weapons and vehicles.

Similar History Discussions