War Movie Miscellany

May 2011
New Iberia, La.
QUOTE - "I don't have to tell you the story. You already know it. Only two kinds of people are gonna stay on this beach: those that are already dead and those that are going to die. Now get off your butts. You guys are the fighting 29th". Brigadier General Norman Cota- The Longest Day

norman-cota-mitchum[1].jpg

May 2011
New Iberia, La.
FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION - City of Life and Death

This Chinese movie is about the infamous “Rape of Nanking”. It concentrates on the Chinese civilians who take refuge in the Safety Zone. The main Japanese character is a soldier who is a controversially sympathetic figure. He is balanced by his loathsome commanding officer (and all the other Japanese soldiers). The movie also has roles for John Rabe and Minnie Vautrin – two foreigners who attempted to save as many innocent Chinese as possible. It highlights the plight of the “Comfort Women” (foreign women forced to work in brothels for the Japanese army) and the terrible atrocities committed by the Japanese army. There are some very powerful scenes and the movie will stay with you. The cast is excellent and the acting is stellar. The movie is accurate, but does not show the full extent of the brutality, thankfully. It does show enough to get you to wonder about man’s inhumanity toward man. This is a must-see about a must-know-about event in history.

city-of-life-and-death-movie-poster-2009-1020707890[1].jpg

Mar 2019
Kansas
QUOTE - "I don't have to tell you the story. You already know it. Only two kinds of people are gonna stay on this beach: those that are already dead and those that are going to die. Now get off your butts. You guys are the fighting 29th". Brigadier General Norman Cota- The Longest Day
A little off topic but the opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan is based on a video games "Medal Of Honor"

When I played that section of the game the only thought going through my head, was how did any of these kids survive this. Where did they find the courage to do this.

Similar History Discussions