War Movie Miscellany

Triceratops

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Late Cretaceous
There is a new restoration of Sergei Bondurchuk's War and Peace recently released. Unfortunately just in a few selected cinemas, though it is available on Blu-ray and DVD.

This is an absolute massive film epic, well worth seeing.

The French Army moves to cross the River Niemen in 1812:

Voyna i mir (1966)

I would have swore the version I saw was dubbed. This is in Russian with subtitles:

Last edited:
May 2011
New Iberia, La.
BACK-STORY - Full Metal Jacket

“Full Metal Jacket” began its long journey to the screen when director Stanley Kubrick (“Dr. Strangelove”, “Paths of Glory”, “Spartacus”) read about Gustav Harford’s novel The Short Timers. Kubrick convinced his good friend Michael Herr to flesh out a screenplay. Herr had already written one of the great Vietnam War – Dispatches. Harford was also involved in the adapted screenplay that ended up with an Oscar nod (the only one the film garnered). The movie was filmed in England because Kubrick hated to leave home. The shoot lasted an exhausting 17 months. Kubrick eschewed a big name cast. Matthew Modine was coming off of “Birdie”. Vincent D’Onofrio was making his debut. He set a record by gaining seventy pounds for the role (breaking De Niro’s pigging out for “Raging Bull”). R. Lee Ermey was hired as the technical adviser and put the actors through a boot camp that included him yelling at them for ten hours a day. He angled for the DI role by impressing Kubrick with a fifteen minute profanity fueled rant while tennis balls were being thrown at him.

Tercios Espanoles

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
Herr had already written one of the great Vietnam War – Dispatches....
Arguably the most influential book ever written about the Vietnam war. In *almost* every Vietnam movie ever made one can find one scene lifted in toto from Dispatches, often verbatim.

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
There is a new restoration of Sergei Bondurchuk's War and Peace recently released. Unfortunately just in a few selected cinemas, though it is available on Blu-ray and DVD.

This is an absolute massive film epic, well worth seeing.
I saw this picture upon its initial American release, at the Esquire Theater in Chicago. As I recall it was reserved seating and you saw the picture in two sittings on 2 different days, the movie being so long.

My impression was that the movie was far inferior in both picture and sound to the large film format, magnetic multi track sound Hollywood movies of the time such as Ben Hur, El Cid, South Pacific, The Alamo, Spartacus, Lawrence of Arabia etc. And inferior to any mainstream Hollywood product in 35mm with an optical mono soundtrack. I was quite disappointed.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
See, I was all agreeing with you up until you said the cinematography was excellent. The cinematography is the entire reason I've never been able to finish watching that film despite half a dozen attempts. It's not just bad, it's stupid and pointless. The only thing fantastical Chinese kung fu movies have that this doesn't is flying people. And not having watched the whole thing, maybe they're in there too.
Oh, damn, I wanted Ed Harris to shoot that ***** between his eyes and my wish was only half answered. He shot other guy who was also asking for it.