War Movie Miscellany

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
I think Saving Private Ryan is overrated and not aging well. Let's face it, once over the shock of the landing scenes it's full of ****.
What do you think of Fury especially of it's *cough cough* climactic ending? :zany:

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
I find Russian and especially Soviet war cinematography as superior to American one.

Anyone wants to argue that? I watched lots of both cinematographies films.

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
I find Russian and especially Soviet war cinematography as superior to American one.

Anyone wants to argue that?
It's futile to argue preference. But an explanation of the reasons for your preference could be interesting.

Are you talking about documentary films of actual war or entertainment movies about war?

Last edited:

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
It's futile to argue preference. But an explanation of the reasons for your preference could be interesting.

Are you talking about documentary films of actual war or entertainment movies about war?
Fiction. I'm writing few characteristics I can think of, I think there will be more. First 3 points are better in Soviet/Russian films in my opinion than in American, point 4 is also achieved many times in American films.

1. Russians have a tension towards a collective, not individual hero. Believing that an individual did much in industrial warfare against whole units of enemy is absurd. Of course collective characters are dying a lot in Soviet and Russian films.
2. Russian characters are in all shades of grey, close to 0 black and white characterizations in their films. Same goes for enemies, nazis are never creatures from hell while their guys are angels from heaven. Lots of ends are not happy ends, emotional catharsis is not guaranteed, also not satisfaction of good prevailing over evil, everything is not explained (ellipses in storytelling) which are in my opinion characteristics of mature art.
3. Fighting enemy is a very difficult and demanding matter, sweat and blood and guts and tears and main characters may die. Enemies are never bunch of idiots and Soviets are never terminators.
4. Soviet cinematography is very accomplished, when you see an opening animation of Mos film than it is a sign of quality. No diletants were directing those films. If some films are slow than it is on intention, not because director can't do better. Casting tends not towards beautiful people but against actors with charismatic energy and presence.