Was a Montgomery an eventuality?

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
Also don't forget that Alamein II was the end of a very long and complex campaign. The general Montgomery was sent in to replace was rather unlucky to be sacked - as had others before him.
The general before him was not unlucky to be sacked, thanks to his weak command, the armour and infantry had lost faith in each other, and the Commonwealth commanders had lost faith in the British high command. Churchill wasn't wrong when he described the 8th Army under Auchenleck as " Brave but baffled".

Aug 2013
Finland
The general before him was not unlucky to be sacked, thanks to his weak command, the armour and infantry had lost faith in each other, and the Commonwealth commanders had lost faith in the British high command. Churchill wasn't wrong when he described the 8th Army under Auchenleck as " Brave but baffled".
This is not a universal assessment of Auchenleck though: Sir Claude Auchinleck: Overshadowed Equal to Erwin Rommel - Warfare History Network

Churchill seems to have done his best to delay a British victory in North Africa by redirecting reinforcements, meddling with timetables etc. so personally I would be slightly sceptical about what he thinks about the commanders he appointed and sacked on that front. But, not being too well read on this front, I could very well be overly critical of Churchill.

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
Churchill seems to have done his best to delay a British victory in North Africa by redirecting reinforcements, meddling with timetables etc. so personally I would be slightly sceptical about what he thinks about the commanders he appointed and sacked on that front. But, not being too well read on this front, I could very well be overly critical of Churchill.
That’s one of the reasons I class him as weak, he didn’t stand up to Churchill when he needed too.
Churchill often backed down if faced with determined opposition to his dafter plans.

Reactions: chefren

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
This is not a universal assessment of Auchenleck though: Sir Claude Auchinleck: Overshadowed Equal to Erwin Rommel - Warfare History Network

Yes indeed, most recent history work is on the side of Auckinleck, but we will never know