Was Ancient Greek Education a Rape institution?

Jan 2015
Australia
I don't think the attitudes of a majority of society are the only criteria we can use when judging the actions of people in ancient societies. There are often people within society who disagree with the prevailing social norms. Shouldn't their opinions also be considered?

There is also the issue of lack of feedback. Catholic priests who abused young boys may not have realized what they were doing was wrong given the lack of consequences and the fact their actions were swept under the rug for so long.
Like I said; if you hide something, and need to ask forgiveness for it in confession, you know it's wrong.

Sep 2014
Texas
The Spartans we're very human, they just weren't very G reek. Most of what is now being said about Sparta is nonsense.

Jan 2019
Eastern Europe
The question is - so what? Should we ask UN to put some sanctions on Greece or something? And start destroy literature, statues and other stuff?

But on the other side it is kinda fascinating and societal development moves in circles - sexual freedom -> ban -> sexual freedom -> ban.
On the other side...The revisionist history is kinda norm too - I am sure past societies also looked at the past through the current lens and thought that those societies were improper.

Sep 2014
Texas
The question is - so what? Should we ask UN to put some sanctions on Greece or something? And start destroy literature, statues and other stuff?

But on the other side it is kinda fascinating and societal development moves in circles - sexual freedom -> ban -> sexual freedom -> ban.
On the other side...The revisionist history is kinda norm too - I am sure past societies also looked at the past through the current lens and thought that those societies were improper.
Actually I wish the UN could stop the destruction of past monuments. erasing history is becoming quite fashionable all over the world.

Jan 2019
Eastern Europe
Actually I wish the UN could stop the destruction of past monuments. erasing history is becoming quite fashionable all over the world.
Well, I am also not in favor of the destruction. Imagine what could be preserved till that day if not for wars and purge by different political movements.

But it is fascinating anyway.

Sep 2014
Texas
Turns out children are less likely to have venerial diseases that would infect older people who are promiscuous. I was reading about this and it turns out that the term gonorrhea was coined by the Romans, and a disease called yaw was around.Herpes was known, and e coli infections were definately a part of the society. This leads me to wonder just how promiscuous the average "straight" guy was. And I don't believe you can make a gay man straight or a straight man gay. But children by virtue of their youth are clean. In a society where anything goes, a child would be very tempting. If a father could not protect his children, he lost them.

Similar History Discussions