Was Antietam more significant than Gettysburg?

Lord_Cronus

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Georgia
Gustav II Adolph said:
Ever notice how Antietam and Gettysburg are always brought up but nobody ever mentions Perryville or Vicksburg?
Yeah, the western theater of the war has been heavily neglected. I know down south nobody likes talking about all the losses dealt to us. Especially Chatanooga and Chickamauga, they were just embarassing losses that never should have happened. But, what can you do? Bragg got command cause he was Davis' buddy, Hood got it cause he bad mouthed Johnston. Both of them were totally unfit to command such a large body of troops.

Jul 2006
Vancouver Washington
Lord_Cronus said:
Gustav II Adolph said:
Ever notice how Antietam and Gettysburg are always brought up but nobody ever mentions Perryville or Vicksburg?
Yeah, the western theater of the war has been heavily neglected. I know down south nobody likes talking about all the losses dealt to us. Especially Chatanooga and Chickamauga, they were just embarassing losses that never should have happened. But, what can you do? Bragg got command cause he was Davis' buddy, Hood got it cause he bad mouthed Johnston. Both of them were totally unfit to command such a large body of troops.
I am sure you have already done so, but if you have not gotten the chance McMurry's Two Great Rebel Armies is an excellent read.