Was Catherine the Great ... great?

Commander

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Originally a German princess married to the Tsar, Catherine seized power in Russia to become Catherine II (1762 - 96). Her rule was characterised partly by reforms and modernisation, but also by her forceful rule and dominant personality.

Was she Great? What can you tell me about her?

Jul 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
You could certainly describe her as a dominant personality. The major accoplishment of her reign would have to be that she tried to seize the Dardonelles and the Bosphorus straits. She was trying to bring Russia back into the worldly competition, unfortunately she failed.

Jul 2006
Hellas
I never understood why Catherine was great, if we talk about Russian history then i can say tha Peter was great. But Catherine for what?

Belisarius

Forum Staff
Jun 2006
U.K.
Nikd said:
I never understood why Catherine was great, if we talk about Russian history then i can say tha Peter was great. But Catherine for what?
She inherited a bankrupt, relatively backward, nation and by force of character and ability managed to oversee a modernisation in agriculture and mining. She was responsible for the Russian "industrial revolution". She was responsible for a massive schools building program. She reformed and promoted public health programs and medicine. In her spare time she corresponded with the most eminent philosophers and intellectuals of the age and was an avid patron of the arts.

She was a truely awsome woman. The title "Great" is just not good enough. "Catherine the Magnificent" is perhaps more appropriate.

CelticBard

Historum Emeritas
Aug 2006
Roving
She gave money and a little attention to one of the amazing minds of history, Francois Marie Arouet, better known as Voltaire. Without money from Catherine, Voltaire and his fellow Philosophs would have never been able to publish the first Encyclopedia.

Not great militarily, but a credit to writters and thinkers everywhere.

Commander

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Was Catherine the Great the first woman leader of Russia ? Her name was Catheine II... does that mean a Catherine I ruled at some point ?

Belisarius

Forum Staff
Jun 2006
U.K.
Commander said:
Was Catherine the Great the first woman leader of Russia ? Her name was Catheine II... does that mean a Catherine I ruled at some point ?
The first Catherine was the second wife of Peter the Great and ruled after his death from 1725-1727.

Jul 2006
Hellas
Belisarius said:
Nikd said:
She inherited a bankrupt, relatively backward, nation and by force of character and ability managed to oversee a modernisation in agriculture and mining. She was responsible for the Russian "industrial revolution". She was responsible for a massive schools building program. She reformed and promoted public health programs and medicine. In her spare time she corresponded with the most eminent philosophers and intellectuals of the age and was an avid patron of the arts.

She was a truely awsome woman. The title "Great" is just not good enough. "Catherine the Magnificent" is perhaps more appropriate.
Thanks Belisarius, usefull :wink: