Was Elizabeth I REALLY a virgin?

Von Ranke

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Thistleland
Curious about everyone's opinion?

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk
It would be helpful if you put a bit more effort into your question by relating some primary source evidence arguing the case for her being a virgin and against it.

Sep 2016
US
I don't have an opinion. My common sense tells me she wasn't but Elizabeth made a career of being married to her people. There isn't any record of documented scandle but from what I understand there was a lot of speculation. The reason I posed the question is to get input since I've never been able to find any source and I wanted your input.

Apr 2015
USA
I don't have an opinion. My common sense tells me she wasn't but Elizabeth made a career of being married to her people. There isn't any record of documented scandle but from what I understand there was a lot of speculation. The reason I posed the question is to get input since I've never been able to find any source and I wanted your input.

I'm curious, how does your "common sense" arrive at this conclusion? Are you basing it on something specific?

Keep in mind that a monarch couldn't really do anything in secret. There were eyes and ears everywhere, and everyone talked. The very fact that there was "speculation" meant that people were watching carefully for any crack in the facade or any hint of scandal. Little or nothing would have escaped detection by the hundreds of people at court every day. My "common sense" tells me its far more likely Elizabeth remained a virgin as claimed than that she got away with a clandestine sexual relationship.

Reactions: Futurist
Sep 2016
US
I'm curious, how does your "common sense" arrive at this conclusion? Are you basing it on something specific?

Keep in mind that a monarch couldn't really do anything in secret. There were eyes and ears everywhere, and everyone talked. The very fact that there was "speculation" meant that people were watching carefully for any crack in the facade or any hint of scandal. Little or nothing would have escaped detection by the hundreds of people at court every day. My "common sense" tells me its far more likely Elizabeth remained a virgin as claimed than that she got away with a clandestine sexual relationship.
I agree. But I believe she nursed Robert Dudly, where there others present? He was Master of the Horses, were there private rides? What happened when she was a ward of Kathrine Parr? Seymour woke Elizabeth in the mornings, were they alone? She kissed Seymour (I beieve was caught), anything more?

I know there was little privacy, one of the reasons I think she eas a virgin, but still there were opportunities.

Reactions: Futurist