Was Hercules real?

Jul 2014
Messinia
Hey guys, LOVE ancient history and stumbled across these forums today.

Anyway I was thinking could Hercules been real? By real I mean a real man that was very powerful and roamed ancient Greece doing good deeds and helping city-states defeat enemies?

I think he was a real man and his legend was told from generation to generation.

Your thoughts?

Mar 2012
No.

In fact, I think it is pretty well understood that the reason that he has so many tales about him is that as his popularity as a mythical figure grew, he absorbed the exploits of other, now forgotten heroes.

Jul 2014
Messinia
No.

In fact, I think it is pretty well understood that the reason that he has so many tales about him is that as his popularity as a mythical figure grew, he absorbed the exploits of other, now forgotten heroes.
So you are saying there is NO chance a man in very early Greek times named Hercules roamed the land?

I'm not sure...

In no way am I saying he was a demigod or anything, I am just saying there very could have been a real man that created the myths.

Jul 2014
Messinia
It's possible that the Hercules legend is based on a single source, it being a conglomeration of various legends is far more likely.
What do you mean by this?

Herodotus talked a lot of nonsense. Great, great read. The most pure fun of all of the ancient historians. But he quoted a lot of myth and made a lot of stuff up.
So what are your views on the battle of Thermopylae?

Similar History Discussions