Was Hernán Cortés a psychopath?

Oct 2016
Ashland
Or gained her freedom because she was getting a bit long in the tooth and because Cortes wanted to make another marriage.;)

NOTE: the Mexica interpreters usually referred to 'Malinche-Cortes' when they reported their negotiations with the Castellanos; meaning they were not sure just who was putting words in whose mouth.
Now, straight from Wiki:
Cortés's wife Catalina Súarez arrived in New Spain around summer 1522, along with her sister and brother. His marriage to Catalina was at this point extremely awkward, since she was a kinswoman of the governor of Cuba, Diego Velázquez, whose authority Cortés had thrown off and who was therefore now his enemy. Catalina lacked the noble title of doña, so at this point his marriage with her no longer raised his status. Their marriage had been childless. Since Cortés had sired children with a variety of indigenous women, including a son around 1522 by his cultural translator, Doña Marina, Cortés knew he was capable of fathering children. Cortés's only male heir at this point was illegitimate, but nonetheless named after Cortés's father, Martín Cortés. This son Martín Cortés was sometimes called "El Mestizo".
Catalina Suárez died under mysterious circumstances the night of November 1–2, 1522. There were accusations at the time that Cortés had murdered his wife. There was an investigation into her death, interviewing a variety of household residents and others. The documentation of the investigation was published in the nineteenth century in Mexico and these archival documents were uncovered in the twentieth century. The death of Catalina Suárez produced a scandal and investigation, but Cortés was now free to marry someone of high status more appropriate to his wealth and power.
A fascinating period in World History. Thanx to all who Posted on this Thread.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Catalina Suárez died under mysterious circumstances the night of November 1–2, 1522. There were accusations at the time that Cortés had murdered his wife. There was an investigation into her death, interviewing a variety of household residents and others. The documentation of the investigation was published in the nineteenth century in Mexico and these archival documents were uncovered in the twentieth century. The death of Catalina Suárez produced a scandal and investigation, but Cortés was now free to marry someone of high status more appropriate to his wealth and power.
Hehe! Good stuff. I confess that I was unaware of this. Can you point where I can read more about it?

Mar 2019
Alabama, USA
The guy was a brutal conqueror -- like most everyone in his day and age. Hell, even the Aztecs themselves weren't exactly nice.

But did he have a mental illness? Well, maybe. Maybe not. He certainly didn't believe in playing fair in war, which, well, I suppose if you're fighting in a war long before the modern definitions of 'Rule of War' were written, I guess anything went.

Mar 2019
Toronto
Well, Lincoln didn't have a son with the slaves he set free, but Cortes did have a son with her. And it is obvious that they couldn't fall in love, so what happened?
If it was sex that motivated him, wasn't it better to keep her a slave so he could have her at any time? Your words just don't make sense.

Similar History Discussions