Was Hernán Cortés a psychopath?

Jul 2016
USA
So we went from a genocidal, raping, mass enslaving war criminal, to someone who may or may not have Weinsteined a woman, who was enslaved by the Aztecs?
Weinsteined, I like that. I guess one version of this story that is as plausible as any other is that she traded sexual acts for personal gain, being that she not only received protection and affection but became an immensely powerful individual afterwards hooking up with Cortes. There is a word in English for someone that does that. LOL, it went from La Malinche being a imperialistic White Male misogynistic Spain rape victim, who cannot possibly give consent, to now she's a prostitute.

Mar 2019
Toronto
You said it. She only had sex with him because of his power, so it was not true love.
Do you know how ridiculous it is to talk about true love to a female slave who was struggling for survival and constantly under threat of abuse? Of course it is not true love, but did she need true love? All she wanted was more and better food, a better shelter, no or less back-breaking work, less violent rape by her captors. If any master could give her that, she would be grateful to and grow to like that master. She would feel attached to and fear for being abandoned by that master, and may want to return favor with her body.

Mar 2019
Toronto
Love , respect , friendship , gratitude , self interest and plain lust have to be weighted in her motivations
I agree with everything you listed here except for love, and I think fear is also an important factor. I prefer not to idealize the relationship between a master and a slave. It is too good to be true.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Do you know how ridiculous it is to talk about true love to a female slave who was struggling for survival and constantly under threat of abuse? Of course it is not true love, but did she need true love? All she wanted was more and better food, a better shelter, no or less back-breaking work, less violent rape by her captors. If any master could give her that, she would be grateful to and grow to like that master. She would feel attached to and fear for being abandoned by that master, and may want to return favor with her body.
Did you know her? So you must be very very old.... Did you live in Technotichtlán when Cortes and Malinche appeared there or did you travel next Don Bernal? because you write as if you met them!!! "not true love"...love dear friend change with time! what you named "love" was invented by Walt Disney Production in 20th Century... well it is the Bourgois Love invented in 19 Century! not matched with love before Industrial Revolution.

"more and better food".. how do you know? "better shelter".. Did you know how was the Manliche´s shelter in 1507?

Althought you don´t believe, dear LilyLi.... history is not a Movie script!!! Kitchener saved Soudan from the Mahdi´s fanatism.... Cortes saved Mexico from Aztec´s terror.

Women, boys and children heads...Mexico

So... yes we can compare Spain and aztec as Britain and Mahdih.... I prefer Spain and Britain than aztecs 1521 and Mahdid 1898

Similar History Discussions