Was it a mistake for Germany not to wait unil 1917 and beyond to fight a World War?

Was it a mistake for Germany not to wait unil 1917 and beyond to fight a World War?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I do think Austria bears more of a burden than Jaap believes. I’d say Serbia and Austria bore responsibility in the first instance, then Russia and France who had been urging Serbia on. Germany was saddled with Austria as an ally (‘handcuffed to a corpse” as I have read).
OK, yeah true I guess.
Austria and Russia were each essentially quite busy in the game of who would control the Balkans (and then attack the Ottomans once more). Obviously the locals had quite different plans.
And both Russia and Austria had a lot of internal problems, and were rather arrogant.

Germany would have been wiser to take more distance from Austria (and France from Russia).
An arrogant, belligerent walking corpse does not make a great treaty partner...

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
OK, yeah true I guess.
Austria and Russia were each essentially quite busy in the game of who would control the Balkans (and then attack the Ottomans once more). Obviously the locals had quite different plans.
And both Russia and Austria had a lot of internal problems, and were rather arrogant.

Germany would have been wiser to take more distance from Austria (and France from Russia).
An arrogant, belligerent walking corpse does not make a great treaty partner...
Allying with Russia before 1890 was perfectly doable for Germany, IMHO.

Allying with Russia before 1890 was perfectly doable for Germany, IMHO.
A non-aggression pact is fine. But those pacts of mutual support when attacked makes one dependent on the restraint of the other partner.
A conditional pact may also be OK, between say France and Russia. But any unconditional pact of mutual support (even valid when the partner attacks) can easily drag you into a war, as it did.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
A non-aggression pact is fine. But those pacts of mutual support when attacked makes one dependent on the restraint of the other partner.
A conditional pact may also be OK, between say France and Russia. But any unconditional pact of mutual support (even valid when the partner attacks) can easily drag you into a war, as it did.
What about a defensive alliance?

Similar History Discussions