Was it a mistake for Russia to ally with France in the 1890s?

Was it a mistake for Russia to ally with France in the 1890s?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Bismarck took good care to have Russia content and friendly to Germany. He always tried to have good relations with the tsar and promoted credit lines for Russia, and easy of financing for Russian tressure and companies in the German stock exchange.

When Wilhelm II got the power in 1888, he refocused the foreign policy into an aggresive one against Russia. For him and the German leaders of the age, the growth of Russia was threatening Germany. So, he cut the credit easy to Russia. And he started to do it in 1889 in this way, pp.211-212:

Wilhelm II

"The Kaiser's frenetic activity reached its peak when he himself wrote a letter to the Reich Chancellor on 12 June 1889, demanding, in strindently imperious terms, the prohibition of the Russian conversion:

"Yesterday in the course of the day I heard by chance that Bleichröder and his associates intend in the very near future to bring a very large quantity (250 million) of Russian rubles back here and accomodate them in Germany. I am most strongly against this. That the Russians arm themselves and mobilise has become a matter of indifference to us; that they insult and scorn us, likewise; but I cannot allow German money to flow into Russian hands so that they can all the more surely attack (and) destroy us. I therefore request your highness... to give orders of a vigorous campaign to be waged against the Russian securities"

This, together with a total clash in many other policies, led Bismarck to resign of his charge.

From my point view, this turning in the German-Russian relations is the real start of the events that led to the WWI.

Russia, however, was not faulty; and for the Russians an alliance with France was a must, and very intelligent tactic
One wonders why exactly Kaiser Bill was worried about a Russian invasion of Germany back in 1889. After all, Russia wasn't allied with France yet.

Was he worried about an Austro-Russian war extending to Germany?

Isleifson

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque
I have to dig on this, but I remember that at some point Russia became the second destiny of French investments, maybe I'm wrong but there's something about that

The French paid specially for railways (another research is needed in this regard), and certainly... The money was lost...
There still a lot of families waiting for her money.

Emprunt russe — Wikipédia

May 2017
France
Ah Ah Ah Ah !!!!! All the parisians have in their old papers the famous "emprunts russes" suscripted for the developpment of the russian raillways.A lot of those papers are sold on the rivers of the Seine by the "bouquinists".

Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
I used to think it was, but I have come around when taking the unavoidable Slav question into consideration and the fact that Germany was allied to Austria. In fact, I think that was really a mistake on Bismarck's part because it set Russia against Germany.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I used to think it was, but I have come around when taking the unavoidable Slav question into consideration and the fact that Germany was allied to Austria. In fact, I think that was really a mistake on Bismarck's part because it set Russia against Germany.
You think that Bismarck should have allied with Russia instead of with Austria?

Similar History Discussions