Was James Buchanan that bad a president?

Pedro

Forum Staff
Mar 2008
On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans serif]Excuse me for putting in my 2bits.
The following postage stamp varieties were first issued by the U.S. in 1930:

Ordinary issue:
Scott 684 - 1½¢ Harding rotary perf 11 x 10.5 - First Day: 12/1/1930
Scott 686 - 1½¢ Harding rotary perf 10 vertically - First Day: 12/1/1930
Scott 685 - 4¢ Taft rotary perf 11 x 10.5 - First Day: 6/4/1930
Scott 687 - 4¢ Taft rotary perf 10 vertically - First Day: 9/1/1930

Commemoratives:
Scott 682 - 2¢ Massachusetts Bay Colonization
Designers: C. A. Huston & A. R. Meissner - Engravers: L. Schofield (vignette) - E. M. Hall (lettering)
Scott 683 - 2¢ Carolina- Charleston Harbor
Designers: C. A. Huston & A. R. Meissner - Engravers: J. C. Benzing (vignette) - F. Lamasure (lettering)
Scott 688 - 2¢ Battle of Braddock's Field
Designer: A. R. Meissner - Engravers: J. Eissler (vignette) - E. M. Hall (lettering)
Scott 689 - 2¢ Von Steuben
Designer: A. R. Meissner - Engravers: L. S. Schofield (vignette) and E. M. Hall (lettering)

Air Mail:
Scott C12: The 5¢ Winged Globe - Perf 12
Designer: A. R. Meissner - Engravers: Frederick Pauling (vignette) - E. M. Hall (lettering)

hacked and pasted from 1930 U.S. Postage Stamps

[/FONT]

Patito de Hule

Ad Honorem
Jan 2009
Minneapolis, MN
[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans serif]Excuse me for putting in my 2bits. [/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans serif]The following postage stamp varieties were first issued by the U.S. in 1930:[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans serif]Ordinary issue:[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans serif]Scott 684 - 1½¢ Harding rotary perf 11 x 10.5 - First Day: 12/1/1930[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans serif]Scott 686 - 1½¢ Harding rotary perf 10 vertically - First Day: 12/1/1930[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans serif]Scott 685 - 4¢ Taft rotary perf 11 x 10.5 - First Day: 6/4/1930[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans serif]Scott 687 - 4¢ Taft rotary perf 10 vertically - First Day: 9/1/1930[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans serif]Commemoratives:[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans serif]Scott 682 - 2¢ Massachusetts Bay Colonization [/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans serif]Designers: C. A. Huston & A. R. Meissner - Engravers: L. Schofield (vignette) - E. M. Hall (lettering)[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans serif]Scott 683 - 2¢ Carolina- Charleston Harbor [/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans serif]Designers: C. A. Huston & A. R. Meissner - Engravers: J. C. Benzing (vignette) - F. Lamasure (lettering)[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans serif]Scott 688 - 2¢ Battle of Braddock's Field [/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans serif]Designer: A. R. Meissner - Engravers: J. Eissler (vignette) - E. M. Hall (lettering)[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans serif]Scott 689 - 2¢ Von Steuben [/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans serif]Designer: A. R. Meissner - Engravers: L. S. Schofield (vignette) and E. M. Hall (lettering)[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans serif]Air Mail:[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans serif]Scott C12: The 5¢ Winged Globe - Perf 12 [/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans serif]Designer: A. R. Meissner - Engravers: Frederick Pauling (vignette) - E. M. Hall (lettering)[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans serif]hacked and pasted from 1930 U.S. Postage Stamps[/FONT]
The Buchanan stamp was issued in 1938. More pertinent to Buchanan is the fact that the only stamps issued in his administration were minor variations to the set begun in 1851. They showed pictures of Ben Franklin (1¢, 30¢), Washington (3¢, 10¢, 12¢, 24¢, 90¢), or Jefferson (5¢). They were all engravures, and the reprints varied slightly in color (especially the Jefferson stamp), or in the engraving lines.

The lack of creativity in the post office at that time does not make Buchanan a bad president. But in policy, he did seem to lack creativity as much as his postmasters general (Aaron Brown, Joseph Holt, and Horatio King).

Viperlord

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
VA
Perhaps Lincoln only looks so great because he's book-ended by three of the worst presidents the U.S. ever had; Pierce, Buchanan, and Johnson. :lol::lol:

Patito de Hule

Ad Honorem
Jan 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Poor old James Buchanan. If not the worst president, certainly one of the most abused. First over his drafting of the Ostend Manifesto (now there was a piece of work!).

But still, in 1856, he was relatively untainted--having remained in England for most of Pierce's administration. By the end of his own administration he was relatively urinated. (That is urinated on by both sides).

He kept his hands clean during the Kansas fiasco. Thus he made a nice compromise candidate for the democrats in 1856. Add to that the fact that he ran against John C. Fremont and Millard Fillmore (by then a know-nothing) perhaps he was, at that time, the best choice among three candidates.

So what was the democratic platform for 1856? One wag suggested Buchanan himself was the platform.

"Mister Fire Eater, I wouldn't rely too much on the supporters of that platform; they are liable to give way at any moment."

"I don't care anything about the supporters of the platform as long as the platform supports me and my nigger."

"I am no longer James Buchanan, but the platform of my party."

The characters are described in the Library of Congress site.