Was My Lai a war crime?

Status
Closed

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
My Lai was a heinous, brutal act which was even more reprehensible than a 'War Crime '. It was done in cold blood. If one can access the colour photographs in ' Life ' magazine, which appeared soon thereafter, and which I can never forget, it will be noted that even the victims were startled to see the soldiers opening fire on them. I remember a young girl about 12-13 years old, holding in her arms an infant about 2 years old, probably her brother, looking surprised and curious respectively at the soldiers. In the next photo they are seen lying on the road like broken dolls.

Oct 2015
Belfast
Lt. William Calley was in fact, the co-accused at a court martial in Fort Benning in November 1970. He stood trial with Captain Ernest Medina, who was later acquitted. Calley, although convicted had his life sentence reduced after a series of appeals. He later went on to work in insurance.

In his account of the slaughter at My Lai, he wrote -

"We were not in My Lai to kill human beings really. We were there to kill an ideology that is carried by - I don't know, pawns. Blobs. Pieces of flesh. I wasn't in My Lai to destroy intelligent men. I was there to destroy an intangible idea. I was there to destroy communism".

Ronald Ridenhour who blew the whistle on Calley's genocidal activities in a letter to government officials in Washington, later wrote -

"It didn't mean slaughtering whole villages of women and children. One of my friends, when he told me about it, said:'You know, it was a Nazi kind of thing'. We didn't go there to be Nazis. At least none of the people I knew went there to be Nazis".

Last edited:

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
Lt. William Calley was in fact, the co-accused at a court martial in Fort Benning in November 1970. He stood trial with Captain Ernest Medina, who was later acquitted. Calley, although convicted had his life sentence reduced after a series of appeals. He later went on to work in insurance.

In his account of the slaughter at My Lai, he wrote -

"We were not in My Lai to kill human beings really. We were there to kill an ideology that is carried by - I don't know, pawns. Blobs. Pieces of flesh. I wasn't in My Lai to destroy intelligent men. I was there to destroy an intangible idea. I was there to destroy communism".

Ronald Ridenhour who blew the whistle on Calley's genocidal activities in a letter to government officials in Washington, later wrote -

"It didn't mean slaughtering whole villages of women and children. One of my friends, when he told me about it, said:'You know, it was a Nazi kind of thing'. We didn't go there to be Nazis. At least none of the people I knew went there to be Nazis".
The words said to have been uttered by Lt. Calley show his nature as extremely callous, even brutish. He deserved to hang like the murderer that he was. he was not a soldier.

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
Please give examples of where a whole village of unarmed civilians were raped and killed by North Vietnamese forces.
Dak Son.

A Montagnard village, not quite unarmed but once the local militia had been defeated the unarmed population were rounded up and finished off with flamethrowers and grenades.

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Thanks that is informative, though I have to say it isn't quite the same (though at least as evil) as the indiscriminate killing of manifestly unarmed civilians in a village. Hue is a city of over quarter of a million people, up to 8000 are believed to have been killed, which is a few per cent of the population. There is some dispute over whether all the dead resulted from massacre, some may have been due to American bombing and Vietnamese shelling in a city that was fought over and changed hands.

Last edited:

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
The words said to have been uttered by Lt. Calley show his nature as extremely callous, even brutish.
So? Who do you think the politicians are going to send off to a foreign land to annihilate people: pansified hippies?

Status
Closed