Was My Lai a war crime?

Status
Closed

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Even if America does things I don't agree with, or previous generations did things in my name ("For our children, and future generations!") as a reasonable, responsible American, I acknowledge that my parent's generation may have done some ****, in my alleged name, that I don't agree with. Without accepting personal guilt (as i never shot a Vietnamese, nor killed an American Indian nor ever owned another human soul in servitude), I can at least acknowledge what my forebears did, "allegedly" in my name ("For future generations"), right or wrong.
That's twisted. If some psychopath, aka politician,, did something in my supposed name - like before I was born, or even before any of my ancestors were in his kingdom - I am not accepting blame for his infamy or laying blame on any other innocent citizen. I put the responsibility exactly where it goes. And I would suggest again, such notions of collective guilt are exactly what fuels the next vengeance. It is unfortunately the nature of mankind that he is so easily brainwashed by the politicians - and people in the US are surely not more susceptible than anyone else.

I love my country. But I hate the politicians. And I am surely not taking the rap for their crimes or participating in putting the rap on the other little guys.

Did Calley go berserk? Yes. But who put him there on a lie for the express purpose of killing? LBJ. Ho Chi Minh did not invade the US. This was no just war of self defense. The war itself was a crime. And if you want to accept a share of national guilt for that, it is your right, but I don't recommend it. I do recommend trying not to repeat mistakes.
And I am sure you notice, no one addresses the question of why dropping bombs and wiping out villages is not a war crime, only when it's done in person is it horror.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edratman

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
So? Who do you think the politicians are going to send off to a foreign land to annihilate people: pansified hippies?
Soldiers do not kill harmless infants and small girls. Most probably Calley as well as those from his platoon who indulged in this spree of killing were abnormal people.
However, that does not complete my reply.
People who make rude personal comments on this forum are not interested in History but may be they need to first learn politeness. I am therefore compelled to report your reply.

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
That's twisted. If some psychopath, aka politician,, did something in my supposed name - like before I was born, or even before any of my ancestors were in his kingdom - I am not accepting blame for his infamy or laying blame on any other innocent citizen. I put the responsibility exactly where it goes. And I would suggest again, such notions of collective guilt are exactly what fuels the next vengeance. It is unfortunately the nature of mankind that he is so easily brainwashed by the politicians - and people in the US are surely not more susceptible than anyone else.

I love my country. But I hate the politicians. And I am surely not taking the rap for their crimes or participating in putting the rap on the other little guys.

Did Calley go berserk? Yes. But who put him there on a lie for the express purpose of killing? LBJ. Ho Chi Minh did not invade the US. This was no just war of self defense. The war itself was a crime. And if you want to accept a share of national guilt for that, it is your right, but I don't recommend it. I do recommend trying not to repeat mistakes.
And I am sure you notice, no one addresses the question of why dropping bombs and wiping out villages is not a war crime, only when it's done in person is it horror.
Do you have any pride in respect of what US forces did in WW2?

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Soldiers do not kill harmless infants and small girls.
(As if it is OK to kill harmful infants and large girls? Personally, I don't think adjectives improve the logic of an argument).

I hope that is a statement of personal philosophical imperative and not an attempt to claim a fact. What happens to harmless infants and small girls in a aerial bombing raid?
I have a feeling that none of Calley's detractors is ever going to address the question of whether Calley is being singled out because he used a machine gun and not a B-52.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
No, people like Hugh Thomson the helicopter pilot, who knew that indiscriminate killing of unarmed civilians was wrong.
Everyone knows it is wrong. Putting US troops in Viet Nam on a lie or a series of lies was wrong. It's just a question of prosecutorial approach. Do you want to start with the major crimes by the big guys or the small crimes committed by the little guys who were following orders;

and what is your approach to granting pardons? One death a tragedy and a million deaths a statistic? Because, I would go the other way around.

Status
Closed