Was Nader Shah the most powerful monarch in the World?

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Check this source! Page 84

Modern Conflict in the Greater Middle East: A Country-by-Country Guide

"Under its great ruler and military leader Nader Shah (1736-1747), Persia was arguably the world's most powerful empire"

How much is this true? Was Persia stronger than France for example?
None at all., Persian population about 9 million.

Gifted general, Well organised Armies,,Great record.

But in overall Size of Empire population/GDP or ability to project that power. No not the world;s most powerful empire. Not close.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
I would say that the most powerful monarch in the world in the reign of Nader Shah (1736-1747) was the Qianlong Emperor of the Qing Dynasty empire who reigned from 17.5-1796.

Other powerful Asian monarchs were Muhammed Shah, the Mughal Padishah (r. 1719-1748), whose empire was much mightier than Persia but which was already declining - which Nader Shah's invasion greatly accelerated.- and Mahmud I, the Ottoman Padishan (reigned 1730-1754). So that would make Nader Shah about the fourth most powerful ruler in Asia in his time.

Reactions: Renzong of Song
Aug 2018
America
I would say that the most powerful monarch in the world in the reign of Nader Shah (1736-1747) was the Qianlong Emperor of the Qing Dynasty empire who reigned from 17.5-1796.

Other powerful Asian monarchs were Muhammed Shah, the Mughal Padishah (r. 1719-1748), whose empire was much mightier than Persia but which was already declining - which Nader Shah's invasion greatly accelerated.- and Mahmud I, the Ottoman Padishan (reigned 1730-1754). So that would make Nader Shah about the fourth most powerful ruler in Asia in his time.
It's funny you mention Muhammad Shah since Nader Shah destroyed him in battle. Military prowess, not empire size, is the true yardstick. That said, you are forgetting Shahu I of the Maratha Empire, who is also arguably more powerful than Nader Shah as well as Muhammad Shah. The Maratha state would exist until the 1810s.

Feb 2015
Bianjing

I agree with this.

heavenlykaghan

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
It's funny you mention Muhammad Shah since Nader Shah destroyed him in battle. Military prowess, not empire size, is the true yardstick. That said, you are forgetting Shahu I of the Maratha Empire, who is also arguably more powerful than Nader Shah as well as Muhammad Shah. The Maratha state would exist until the 1810s.
Yet the Maratha was routed by Ahmad Shah Durrani at the battle of Panipat fought in 1761. Ahmad was only a cavalry commander under Nader Shah's empire.
Nader Shah certainly had one of the most powerful armies on the planet, but his numbers were limited. With over 250 million people under his control in the 1740s, Qianlong had over 1/3 of humanity under his authority. The Qing army also stood at some 900,000 large, with 200,000 elite banner cavalry that fought similarly with Nader's Persian Zamburak supported cavalry.

Nader's empire is probably on the same league as the Zunghar Empire under Galdan Tseren. Galdan had some 100,000 mounted cavalry widely using Zamburaks, defeated the Qing army in 1729 and halted Chinese expansion for over two decades. In the west, the Zunghars defeated the Khazakhs, captured Tashkent, and subjugated the middle horde. The Khazakhs often got the upper hand in battles with the Uzbeks at the turn of the 17th century.

1570767222288.png

Zunghars expanding into Khazakhs.