Was Nelson Overrated?

Apr 2017
Lemuria
He was expected to win this but defeating a combined French and Spanish was no small feat. He saved Britain from a potential invasion. Make no mistake if Napoleon were to land on English soil it would have been 1066 all over again. But I wouldn't go as far as saying he was at sea what Napoleon or Caesar was on land.
He is rightfully and justifiably revered by the English.

Apr 2014
Istanbul Turkey
Nelson had been probably best admiral in large scale navy command since Du Ruyter and Barbaros Hayreddin Pasha but there were several other Royal Navy captains in Revolutionary Wars /Napoleonic War era who were as resourceful as he had been : Collinwood , Stracthan , Duckworth , Duncan , Cochrane are a few I can remember. Nelson just over mystified after (and due to the manner) of his death , serving his country to his last breath , saving Britain from Napoleon's invasion (or so it seemed to public) and gave naval dominance of all seas to Britain for more than 100 years. When he won Battle of Trafalgar at the cost of his life , Napoleon had been all triumphant on continent so his victory in Trafalgar served as a perfect balance act.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Nelson had been probably best admiral in large scale navy command since Du Ruyter and Barbaros Hayreddin Pasha but there were several other Royal Navy captains in Revolutionary Wars /Napoleonic War era who were as resourceful as he had been : Collinwood , Stracthan , Duckworth , Duncan , Cochrane are a few I can remember. Nelson just over mystified after (and due to the manner) of his death , serving his country to his last breath , saving Britain from Napoleon's invasion (or so it seemed to public) and gave naval dominance of all seas to Britain for more than 100 years. When he won Battle of Trafalgar at the cost of his life , Napoleon had been all triumphant on continent so his victory in Trafalgar served as a perfect balance act.
I agree Nelson was the best admiral in naval actions from 17th Century and in the same level reached by de Ruyter and Santa Cruz

Similar History Discussions