Was one WWII opponent "Germany" or "Nazi Germany"...

Fiver

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
I figure calling our enemy in WW II the Nazis or Nazi Germans rather than just plain Germans is letting the Germans off the hook. It's like saying that in 1846 the Democrats made war on Mexico.
No doubt some people have done this, but others are simply distinguishing the years the Nazis were in power from the German governments that preceded and succeeded them.

That said, two great lies came out of the era. The first, told by many Germans, was only the Nazis did bad things. The second, told by much of the rest of the Europe, was only the Germans did bad things. Finland was German's ally, but Finnish Jews had a much higher survival rate than in any of the German-occupied Balkans. Fascist Spain refused to hand over any Jews that reached their territory. Switzerland usually handed the Jews back to probable death. Every country had people who cooperated with the Nazis. Every country had people who opposed the Nazis. And far more often than either aiding or resisting, people just kept their heads down out of fear. It's easy to say you would have stood up to the Nazis, but how many would be willing to risk their lives and the lives of their whole family to do that? I'm glad I've never had to make that choice.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
BTW, you are correct that Jews in Nazi-allied (as opposed to Nazi-occupied) countries often had higher survival rates than Jews in Nazi-occupied countries. For instance, something like 30% of Greater Hungary's Jewish population survived the Holocaust in comparison to Poland's 10% even though Hungary was allied with the Nazis while Poland wasn't and thus Poland got occupied by the Nazis. (Of course, even more Hungarian Jews would have likely survived the Holocaust had Horthy not tried to make a separate peace with the Allies in 1944.) On a similar note, AFAIK, the overwhelming majority of the Jews within Romania's May 1941 borders survived the Holocaust. The Jews within Bulgaria's pre-World War II borders likewise survived the Holocaust--in their case, I believe completely. Meanwhile, the Jews in Nazi-occupied Yugoslavia (which got occupied by the Nazis due to its refusal to cooperate with them) suffered a much worse fate--with most of them getting murdered in the Holocaust. In contrast, Italy's Jews actually fared very well until Italy switched sides--after which point the Nazis outright occupied northern Italy and began the Holocaust there.

Sometimes making a deal with the devil might have unfortunately been the superior option--at least if this wouldn't have actually affected the ultimate outcome of the war.