Was the “blanque check” by Imperial Germany the main reason for the start of WWI?

Apr 2014
New York, U.S.
got a source for this?

Was the Treaty formally modified or did the French just give an understanding?
One excellent source dealing with the July crisis is Christopher Clark’s book “Sleepwalkers”. The Balkan inception idea is covered. Also, I have watched You Tube videos where this issue was discussed by historians.
When he heard about this development in 1913, the British FM, Sir Edward Grey, wrote that because of this agreement any conflict in the Balkans could lead to a larger conflict involving the major European powers.

Apr 2014
New York, U.S.
Did Serbia want a war with Austria-Hungary not even a year after the Balkan Wars? Unlikely.

Also, Yugoslavia =/= Greater Serbia.
Exactly. As a result of the war, Serbia did achieve it’s goal of a Greater Serbia.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Exactly. As a result of the war, Serbia did achieve it’s goal of a Greater Serbia.
Serbia's goal was the unification of all South Slavs into a single state because they believed Serbs, Croats and Slovenes were the same people with three names. What is Greater Serbian about that?

Apr 2014
New York, U.S.
True, they wanted to take over A-H's South Slavic parts but it was not something Serbia actively worked on. Their main foreign policy focus was to the south, towards Ottoman Kosovo and Macedonia.
There was a small but powerful group within the Serbian military whose objective was to create a Greater Serbia Their motto “Union or Death” pretty much describes their determination. And it was this group that had aided the men who assassinated Franz Ferdinand.

Apr 2014
New York, U.S.
Serbia's goal was the unification of all South Slavs into a single state because they believed Serbs, Croats and Slovenes were the same people with three names. What is Greater Serbian about that?
Because they wanted the Serbs to be the ruler of all the Slavic groups.

Nov 2019
Memphis TN
Viewpoint 1
Historian Sir Max Hastings and several other eminent historians place the blame for starting WWI squarely on the government of Imperial Germany (IG). Their reasoning is that IG gave the Austrian-Hungarian government a “blanque check” of support in the developing controversy between A-H and Serbia over the assassination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand. This emboldened A-H to punish Serbia even though this action might involve Russia in a war.
Viewpoint 2
Many other historians believe that the blame for starting WWI should be shared by several nations. Decision making and miscalculations by leaders, ministers, ambassadors, etc. of several European countries led to the conflict. Max Hastings and his like minded ilk scoff at this interpretation.

I am interested to know which of these two viewpoints the Historum posters favor.
There is definitely something to be said for being gracious in victory..

That said it isn’t full proof.. our present politics are absolutely rooted in the civil war divide....and I wonder if things might not be different if the US confiscated the planter land and gave it to the freed slaves and poor whites.. but that is off topic.

But plenty of similar examples where overly hash reparations caused further hostility and conflict..

It is a weird mix that is needed likely..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
When Yugoslavia was formed, Peter I, king of Serbia, became the first sovereign of the new nation.
And that makes Yugoslavia Greater Serbia how? When Greece got a Danish king, did we witness the creation of Greater Denmark?

Reactions: Kotromanic

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
I really enjoy having discussion with etmore.

That said, I've looked back to 2014, long before you joined our discussions, and I see the same themes in his contributions.

@etmore: you have had 5 years since we last went into depth on this very topic, if you don't mind doing me a favor please reply in a PM or here in the thread and tell me what you have read since the end of 2014 on the Great War.

Your themes, if you will forgive me for making a judgement, all seem to be from Clark. In the intervening five years since the last discussions I have read Clark's book. I was actually quite impressed with Clark, although he is probably too harsh on Serbia (your posts above essentially claiming Union or Death had overthrown the Radical Party to be the representative of the nation... something Clark never argued, FWIW). But, I'd urge you to continue reading for yourself!

Best from hayseed Iowa to the Empire State,

K