Was the “blanque check” by Imperial Germany the main reason for the start of WWI?

Isleifson

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque
To which should be added that they attack along the entire border, and the Finns eventually captured the operational plans that came with the single restrictive caveat that under no circumstances were the Soviet forces to cross the Swedish border.

So the primary objective was all along the complete investiture of Finland.

Once the war started going seriously badly for the Soviets the Finns also started finding at least very suggestive circumstantial evidence that the Soviets did not in fact expect the Finns to even fight. A Ukranian division completely annihilated in one of the "motti" lacked winter uniforms but turned out to have brought their dress uniforms and the instruments of the regimental band – for the victory parade.
Not everybody here will know about Motti

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
And that makes Yugoslavia Greater Serbia how? When Greece got a Danish king, did we witness the creation of Greater Denmark?
Taking that train of thought, then when Elizabeth's house was joined to the Duke of Edinburgh, England finally was in "personal union" with Denmark.

Sort of completes the drama from the second season of History Channel's "Vikings", there.

Gratuitous pic of Lagertha for emphasis on the absurdity:

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
The claim that Kingdom of Yugoslavia was Greater Serbia becomes even more absurd when you take into account the ideology adopted by king Aleksandar: integral Yugoslavianism that sought to literally turn Serbs, Croats and Slovenes into a single people group. Yeah, nothing says Greater Serbia more than attempting to completely assimilate the Serbs into a new people group.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
The claim that Kingdom of Yugoslavia was Greater Serbia becomes even more absurd when you take into account the ideology adopted by king Aleksandar: integral Yugoslavianism that sought to literally turn Serbs, Croats and Slovenes into a single people group. Yeah, nothing says Greater Serbia more than attempting to completely assimilate the Serbs into a new people group.
If you have not seen some of the artwork generated for the 1933 Chicago World's Fair "Century of Progress" (that is poster art for Yugoslavia Day at the World's Fair) it is worth seeing as a bit of reference to the spirit of Alexander. Sadly Alexander would only survive another two years after that event.

Apr 2014
New York, U.S.
I really enjoy having discussion with etmore.

That said, I've looked back to 2014, long before you joined our discussions, and I see the same themes in his contributions.

@etmore: you have had 5 years since we last went into depth on this very topic, if you don't mind doing me a favor please reply in a PM or here in the thread and tell me what you have read since the end of 2014 on the Great War.

Your themes, if you will forgive me for making a judgement, all seem to be from Clark. In the intervening five years since the last discussions I have read Clark's book. I was actually quite impressed with Clark, although he is probably too harsh on Serbia (your posts above essentially claiming Union or Death had overthrown the Radical Party to be the representative of the nation... something Clark never argued, FWIW). But, I'd urge you to continue reading for yourself!

Best from hayseed Iowa to the Empire State,

K
Dear Hayseed from Iowa
Thank you for your post.
I do think that “Sleepwaker” was the most comprehensive description of all of the players during the July Crisis and by far the most in depth analysis of Serbia.
As for “Union or Death” I do not think that I implied that they controlled the Serbian government. However, their modus operandi of using violence to achieve their goals made them feared within the Serbian government.

As for continued reading, my problem with that is that I am just shy of 77 years old and extensive reading is a problem. I compensate by watching historians on YouTube and reading condensed versions of historical books.
I have been studying history since 1960 and am continually amazed at it’s scope.
I post on Historum because, as Hercule Poirot would say, I need to stimulate my “little gray cells”.
Kudos from the old guy in New York.

Reactions: Kotromanic
Apr 2014
New York, U.S.
And that makes Yugoslavia Greater Serbia how? When Greece got a Danish king, did we witness the creation of Greater Denmark?
I should have added that Belgrade, the capital of Serbia, became the capital of Yugoslavia.
As for your example, is Denmark contiguous with Greece?

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I should have added that Belgrade, the capital of Serbia, became the capital of Yugoslavia.
None of this makes the kingdom of Yugoslavia Greater Serbia. Communist Yugoslavia also had a capital in Belgrade and they certainly spent a lot of time combating "Greater Serbian nationalism".

Sort of completes the drama from the second season of History Channel's "Vikings", there.
Now I feel bad when I think how badly that show went downhill.