Was the Achaemenid Empire inferior to the Warring States in military technology and training?

Feb 2019
Thrace
Suppose Alexander's army at Gaugamela would have faced a Chinese force of equal numbers with the Persian one they actually fought. Would the outcome be different?

Baldtastic

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Londinium
Isn't this is just a round-about way of asking if Alexander the Great could conquer the Chinese Kingdoms of the time?

Feb 2019
Thrace
Isn't this is just a round-about way of asking if Alexander the Great could conquer the Chinese Kingdoms of the time?
Not a realistic scenario because of geography at the very least, and it's far from certain if he could have gotten past India to begin with.

Mar 2015
Europe
Not a realistic scenario because of geography at the very least, and it's far from certain if he could have gotten past India to begin with.
India was not on the way to China.
Alexander was on Syr Darya in 327 or so BC.
He ended up turning south and crossing Hindu Kush to India.
He might have continued northeast along Silk Road to China instead.

Who lived in Dzhungaria on Silk Road in late 4th century BC?
Precisely how far did Chinese and Persian/Central Asian artefacts travel on Silk Road in late 4th century BC? I mean, if you excavate the camps in Xinjiang, are any exotic trade goods found? Qin reached eastern Gansu. Would Alexander in Xinjiang have met any people who had heard of China and could show him the way across the deserts to Gansu?

Reactions: Openminded
Feb 2019
Thrace
India was not on the way to China.
Alexander was on Syr Darya in 327 or so BC.
He ended up turning south and crossing Hindu Kush to India.
He might have continued northeast along Silk Road to China instead.

Who lived in Dzhungaria on Silk Road in late 4th century BC?
Precisely how far did Chinese and Persian/Central Asian artefacts travel on Silk Road in late 4th century BC? I mean, if you excavate the camps in Xinjiang, are any exotic trade goods found? Qin reached eastern Gansu. Would Alexander in Xinjiang have met any people who had heard of China and could show him the way across the deserts to Gansu?
I meant that he probably would have attacked India first if he survived his disease. In any case, Alexander's chances of conquering China are a totally different subject. The reason I framed the question like that in the OP is precisely to avoid any hypothetical conquest. For example a genuine war between the Persians and the Chinese, which ultimately come down to geography and logistics.

So I simply teleported a Chinese force of equal numbers at a specific battle to highlight that only the military might of their armies is what interested me.

-who had more advanced military technology?
-who had better trained soldiers?

And this strictly between the Achaemenids and the Warring states.